• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera, Photos and Folders

JohnnyBravo1000

Android Expert
Jun 3, 2010
Luton
I've just been doing a bit of exploring via Astro and have noticed that my photos are stored in a folder titled DCIM.

Inside this folder there are a few folders and loose files.

.thumbnails - contains a few files but I have no idea what they are.

There are 13 random photos (not in their own folder) which were in the gallery when I received the phone.

An empty Camera folder - what is this for?

100 Media - A folder with all the pictures I have taken.

Could somebody clarify what the .thumbnails folder and Camera folder are for?

Also, can I "tidy up" this area of my phone, and would the phone still recognise and find the files?

Could I create a folder which newly taken photographs will automatically be located?

Cheers.

.thumbnails is exactly what it says. It contains the thumbnail files the phone uses when you browse the gallery.

The Camera folder is where photos taken by your camera are stored by default.

Cheers, mate.

However, the photos I have taken don't seem to be stored in the Camera folder by default. They are stored in Media 100 - whatever that is?

Upvote 0
.thumbnails as above
Not sure what the camera folder is for...
In mine there appears toi be an image saved from my paint program.
Don't think you can change the default location of where the pictures do, but on must devices I own DCIM\100media is pretty standard, can only think its a standard location for image import programs on your PC to look for images on a removeable device.

If you were to create a media folder on your sd with a images directory underneath you can then set up folders to separate your images and they will appear as albums in the gallery.

I do this and also have folders for music, rings & videos under my media folder

Upvote 0
Cheers, mate.

However, the photos I have taken don't seem to be stored in the Camera folder by default. They are stored in Media 100 - whatever that is?

I've just checked. Mine are stored in the Camera folder, but I'm using 'Camera Zoom FX' the settings are to download pics in to the default folder.

However, you're right. I've just taken a pic with the default camera and it goes in to the same one yours does. Odd.

Upvote 0
The thumbnails in the thumbnails folder are odd little things, as far as i can tell you can't view them on your pc, but they don't delete when you delete the original photo.

Currently I have 1 photo in my Camera Shots folder but Astro shows that there are dozens of thumbnail images! So every photo I've taken appears to have a thumbnail even if I've moved to deleted the original...

Ok, just tried something. I deleted all of them and when I returned to the photo folder the thumbnail for the only picture on the phone was intact (or had been recreated) But why aren't they deleted along with the original?

the Camera folder is empty and doesn not seem to get used for anything

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones