• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

dishe

Nov 22, 2010
I'm considering this phone as an upgrade to my Optimus when it lands on Sprint.

I'm wondering how well the camera fairs on this thing. I know its only 3.2Mpix and VGA in the front, but megapixels don't mean anything to me- I've seen phones with 5mpix cameras take higher quality photos than 8mpix equipped devices. I know Samsung knows how to make a quality camera sensor when they want to. Wondering just how many corners they had to cut on this baby, though.

Anyone have any shots they care to share?

i think this is a great 1 it has flash enabled and is close up of a cpu

s42kb6.jpg

Upvote 0
So I'm currently borrowing an Ultra for the day from a friend who is unhappy with boost reception.

Took a few sample pictures, and I gotta admit that the coloring seems off. Too much yellow saturation, even with adjusting white balance. I tried it side by side with the optimus, and tried to match the same settings (sunlight, cloudy, tungsten, auto, etc) and every single time the picture came out more washed out and yellow than the Optimus.
Very sad- however when using the flash on something up close, it actually took rather decent shots (such as the one above). So, this leads me to believe that the software controlling the camera seems to have been calibrated to use the color of the flash light. Perhaps when not using that color light, everything is shifted slightly?
Also interesting to note that in my test Skype call today, the camera performed splendidly! Very decent quality for a lower end handset, and colors that appear more accurate than the camera app. So, I'm wondering if the quality can be improved with a software fix, future update, or perhaps just resorting to a third party photo app?

Upvote 0
So, I'm wondering if the quality can be improved with a software fix, future update, or perhaps just resorting to a third party photo app?

I wouldn't get your hopes up on a software update.

I am actually pretty happy with the camera. It does have some issues with colors and lighting, but compared to other phone cameras I've seen its pretty good. The video quality is great for mid-range phone. Most lower end digital cameras really struggle with video quality indoors, but the TU does pretty well. I wouldn't try to shoot a movie on the thing, but I won't complain too much about it. Also, the quality on video calls really is quite good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones