• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can a deleted SMS be recovered ?

I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7 (SAMSUNG-SM-G930A) currently running on Android Version 6.0.1

I had recently noted down some important data as Anonymous Draft SMS & unfortunately i can't find it in the SMS folder. I haven't synced my SMS folder or turned ON any backup.
Is there any way I can retrieve the SMS without Rooting my device ?

Rooting your device would probably make it worse. The S7's storage will be encrypted, so any rooting method that involves a factory reset (such as an official bootloader unlock) will delete the encryption key, leaving you trying to recover encrypted files which the phone can no longer decrypt. It may be that there's a way of rooting your particular phone that won't do a reset, because an ATT Samsung probably won't have an official bootloader unlock anyway. But I don't know whether that model is rootable at all, as many North American Samsungs are not (I'm European, and have never owned an s7, so don't know the answer to that).

Upvote 0
I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7 (SAMSUNG-SM-G930A) currently running on Android Version 6.0.1

I had recently noted down some important data as Anonymous Draft SMS & unfortunately i can't find it in the SMS folder. I haven't synced my SMS folder or turned ON any backup.
Is there any way I can retrieve the SMS without Rooting my device ?
Correction, I didn't delete the SMS. As I mentioned above, it was a Anonymous Draft SMS & accidentally I tried creating another anonymous draft sms & that is when the old one vanished

Upvote 0
On a Pixel phone the message you start is saved as a draft under the person you were sending it to. Here's what it looks like on my Pixel 7

asms.png

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
On my S7, while composing a SMS i can leave the receiver's name blank & just key in data. That is when a SMS is saved as an ANONYMOUS DRAFT SMS

I think you're SOL..

On my Samsung draft messages without a recipient("anonymous") can't be saved. The option is either add recipient or discard message.

Screenshot_20231006_123000_Messages.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
on my z fold 4 i can't even make a text without prividing a recipient 1st. so i was unaware that you could do this before. i think the saved drafts are most likely saved in a temp cache folder or maybe even in clipboard(i could be wrong in this) and temp files are never recoverable once they have been deleted or overwritten......sorry you are probably sol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones