• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can I install the MIUI FM Radio on NON-MIUI ROM?

SkinJob

Oct 5, 2010
I tried a few MIUI ROMs but I'm sticking with MildWild (4.4) on my HTC Desire. However, MW is bare bones and all the apps it comes with are ugh! I really liked the vintage (60's) looking radio on my MIUI XJ ROM. I already have a couple of MIUI FM Radio apk's, but I'm scared to install them! Based on reading that you can brick your phone if the radio's are not compatible (I have 5.11.05.27, Android ver. 2.3.7). I'm not sure which version of MIUI the apk I downloaded is for. Does it matter if it's an apk, and not installed via recovery, or do I still risk bricking my phone if the radios are not compatible?

I also have the MIUI dialer in apk form, I'm going to try installing that and see what goes, cos I don't think that would be a risk.

Installing an FM radio app is harmless. The worst that can happen is that either it won't install or it won't work. The only question is whether you'll have to uninstall the existing one first (I've found replacing camera apks can be a bit fiddly, not sure whether FM radios will be the same).

When we talk about flashing a radio being risky we mean the radio firmware, i.e. the firmware that controls the cellular radio, WiFi, and a few other key bits of hardware.

Reactions: SkinJob
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones