• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I use smart playlists with an Android?

CharlesLewis

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
I am seriously considering getting the new Droid X and giving my old iPod Touch to my wife. On the iPod, I make use of Smart Playlists that use an one criteria: Plays = 0. When a song or audio book is played, it disappears from the Playlist.

Will I be able to do this with Android? I have read about DoubleTwist as a program that will allow me to sync from iTunes, so it might accomplish this (can't test it, since I don't have the Droid yet). I am not locked in to iTunes, so if there is a Mac program that would sync better, I could move my audio material over there.

Can I accomplish this?

Yes, and maybe no.

I'd avoid double twist. Its still very buggy for mac-android syncing. I mean, you can try it, but if you don't like it make sure you delete all of doubletwist's hidden files, as they can cause problems in the future.

I sync my my smart playlists (from itunes on my macbook) to my N1 with Missing Sync all the time. No problems.

The problem that might cause problems for your case is ratings. Are you expecting to change ratings on the phone and then have them transfer to itunes? If so your out of luck. Lyrics and song ratings are not supported in id3 of any version.

When you get ratings and lyrics on the iphone/itunes you're seeing a Apple-only file system that keeps the two in sync with each other.

Reactions: CharlesLewis
Upvote 0
I'll check out Missing Sync. I don't use ratings, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I should be able to have my Android play a song one time and then delete it from the playlist, then. Will this happen in real time or when I sync back to the computer?

Thanks for your help.

Also I just forgot, I believe play counts are supported by id3 v2.2, but I'm not sure, or even if theirs a media player on the market that supports it.

If you manually delete a song listing from a playlist, you're just deleting it on your phone. I don't know if missing sync will update the mp3/m3p file on your computer. I can look when I get home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones