• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I use the Note 4 without battery, just plugged to the socket?

Dubin

Lurker
Feb 20, 2016
Hi,

I use a lot the Galaxy Note at my desk, doing tethering or just using the phone sitting in the same place for hours, near a power point (socket).

To avoid using the battery unnecessarily, couldn't I use the phone without battery, plugged to the socket?

Thank you in advance.

they won't even power on w/o the battery.

don't worry about the battery, I always have my Note 4, or my S5, laying on the Qi Wireless charger when I am using it at my desk.
The charger is programmed to drop back to a maintenance charge, just equal to what it takes to power the phone at idle.

and especially when I am talking to my trucker buddy, I "ride along with him" for hours at a time keeping him awake late at night while finishing up a run.... and when we are done, my phone is usually always topped off and ready to go 'mobile somewhere'.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your answers.

Then, after reading what AZgl1500 said about using the phone on the Qi Wireless charger, I think I could use the phone with the battery in it and plugged to the socket.

I don't know if someone has tried it, or is it unadvisable to do it for some reason?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your answers.

Then, after reading what AZgl1500 said about using the phone on the Qi Wireless charger, I think I could use the phone with the battery in it and plugged to the socket.

I don't know if someone has tried it, or is it unadvisable to do it for some reason?

works fine, and if you have one of the older 1 amp wall warts, that is even better for "Long Term" use of being plugged in...

I have a very old 0.75 amp wall wart, and it will do a slow charge on current model phones.

good enough to keep the battery topped up and alive while you are busy at your office desk.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I use a lot the Galaxy Note at my desk, doing tethering or just using the phone sitting in the same place for hours, near a power point (socket).

To avoid using the battery unnecessarily, couldn't I use the phone without battery, plugged to the socket?

Thank you in advance.
Instead of asking... why didn't you try it... with the battery out... that would have answered the question. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones