• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help can not delete some files on microsd

InGearX

Android Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2011
when I am trying to delete *some* files (movies..) on my galaxy Tab S2 microSD .. I keep getting "task failed" or alike .. I have tried half a dozen file managers .. reboot .. safe mode ..

but I can delete them fine on my laptop!

I am thinking its got to be some file permissions issue ..

there has got to be some program that will let me reset all file permission on my microSD card

or some solution?

please help .. thank you ..

Have you tried using the stock system Samsung file browser, "Files" I think it's called? Because if the Tab is on Kitkat or Lollipop, third-party user installed file managers are not usually able to delete files and folders they didn't create.

Yes it's a file permissions thing, with those versions of Android. A security measure to try and stop any malware deleting or encrypting files and folders they didn't create, e.g. ransomware, which does exist on Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones