• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can the other user locate me from Viber messages?

danblack

Lurker
Mar 27, 2014
Hi,

is it possible that when i send the message, but location tracking is not on, that the other side can detect my location?
How can I see the location from received messages then?

Thanks for answering. It is really important for me, cause now Im pretty skeptic about texting through Viber.

Cheers,
D.

Not sure why you are skeptic, everyone has their own reasons, but I can tell you that I use Viber and haven't had any "security" issues. What I can say is that Viber does go by phone numbers, so if someone really wanted to they could look up your country code and know where you are. Since I don't message with people I don't know, it's not an issue for me, but might be for you. While people don't think of it as a messaging app, you could use Yahoo Messenger, which does offer instant messaging, and goes by email address instead of phone numbers, so offers no details what so ever as to your location. It also allows you to send pictures or images or whatever like any other messaging app and has a cam feature too that other messaging apps don't offer!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Hi,

is it possible that when i send the message, but location tracking is not on, that the other side can detect my location?
How can I see the location from received messages then?

Thanks for answering. It is really important for me, cause now Im pretty skeptic about texting through Viber.

Cheers,
D.

Hello,
If the location indicator feature is not ON there is no way to detect your location on Viber.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones