• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you see the difference from the FPS fix?

Now that HTC has released a fix for the 30FPS cap, what do you think?

• The phone runs much smoother. Night and day difference.

Votes: 218 61.8%
  • It's a little better, but I barely notice

Votes: 89 25.2%
  • I don't see any difference

Votes: 44 12.5%
  • It's worse than before

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
RiverOfIce, I am not arguing the fact the responsiveness improvement is somewhat responsible for the overall improvement, merely that the increased FPS is discernable by the human eye.

The way it has always been explained to me is the Hz rate is the native refresh rate of the screen and FPS is the number of frames drawn per second by the video processor which can't effectively exceed the native refresh rate of the screen. The way a monitor works is by re-drawing everything on the screen repeatedly, either by progressive scan or interlaced methods, and the more times this is done the smoother it will be.

Any increase in FPS is detectable by the human eye as far as current technology goes except for the few plasma screens running at 600HZ, that may be a little extreme. In fact, one of the next generation HD systems in the pipeline can actually draw 1,000,000 frames per second! Unfortunately, current broadcast and storage technology can't support it. Talk about a whole new meaning to the term slow motion.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this question has already been asked in this thread but I wanted to know if the new update improved VIDEO CHATTING on the Evo. Seemed a little jerky from the response earlier on that I read. Just wanted to know if the uncapping seemed to improve THIS feature

Not for me. Movicha4evo is just as choppy and pixelated as fringe w/skype was. Then again, though noticeable, the improvement wasn't all that and a bag of chips for me. Really only noticeable when scrolling; Let's Golf, Airplane game, toss it, etc arent any different on mine. YMMV though...

Upvote 0
A little update after using the phone more in the last few days.

I am having hell with the internet! I currently can't use Android Forums at all, Flickr is spotty at best, and the search bar on the Google home page won't work at all. Interestingly enough, the Google search widget still works, but is slow as hell. This appears to be tied to 3G and 4G as everything works fine on WiFi and I am definitely not seeing the speed increases others are reporting.

Also, possibly unrelated, but Pandora started to freak out and wouldn't finish a song before switching to the next, sometimes a few seconds into one.

Upvote 0
I see a significant difference when I scroll and such. Unfortunately though, since the update, I find my phone goes into a lag mode. It seems as though the processor is bogged down at times. I don't correlate it with the FPS fix, rather something maybe with the sync changes? It has happened four times thus far, and I am forced to restart my phone when it happens. Which leads to another problem. Phone was very slow to boot with Android 2.1. Updating it to Froyo fixed the issue. Phone booted really fast. Now with this update, it is actually slower to boot up than before 2.1. I have not installed any apps since this latest update. I am not sure what is wrong, but I don't like it, thats for sure.

Upvote 0
I just got the EVO today and I love it! I compared the phone side by side with the Epic in the store, and ended up leaving with the Evo. I love you feel of the phone, the look, the screen, and everything else.

I have a question now. I have heard that the epic is supposidly faster and far superior in the graphics department. I was under the impression that the unlocking of the 30 fps narrowed this gap significantly. What do you guys think? Is the Evo now a quality android gaming machine, or should I reconsider the epic if I am worried about games in the future?

Thanks for all the answers, you guys are always helpful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones