• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help cancelling apps running in background

Nope, no task manager in my apps???. reason for asking is i was told the phone runs better and faster if i turn off all apps running in the background.
Hence i wanted advice how to do so:)???..
As well as any other advice in this arena....
Any good apps to download to help as well.
Cheers

Upvote 0
If you long press home underneath your recent apps you will find task manager. You can kill apps from there. I however wouldn't recommend it or using a task killer. Android is designed to manage apps itself. It will close them itself when necessary. Using a task killer or doing it yourself can actually use more battery as it will take more power to open the app up the next time and its likely to reopen the app you just killed.

Upvote 0
I think the OP finally clarified that he wanted to stop background apps for the purpose of improving phone speed (and maybe better battery life). In that sense, playing around with task manager and clearing RAM is NOT going to give you much of an effect. For example clearing RAM forces the launcher to reload the wallpapers again, so it actually takes up more juice at that point.

The only real way is to root your phone so you can specifically control which app runs and which doesn't. Don't ask me how though because I didn't root since I am perfectly happy with my phone currently.

Cheers

Upvote 0
The only task I think would be worth killing in task manager would be your Internet browser.

If one of the pages you were on is a live feed (eg. football scores etc) then this could be updating constantly in the background. I can't confirm that this actually happens, (I would hope it only occurs if the page is actually active with focus), but theoretically this could be the case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones