• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot copy APPS to portable sd or change sd to internal

joker51503

Lurker
May 28, 2018
Running 7.0 emui 5.0.1
Am trying to copy apps to sd card.
Cannot set sd card as default location as "I have already created a user?"
SD card is set up as portable storage, format does not have an option to change this?
None of my apps have the tab to move to SD card : (
Anybody know how a newbie can change this without rooting phone or creating a brick?

Upvote 0
Running 7.0 emui 5.0.1
SD card is set up as portable storage, format does not have an option to change this?
Anybody know how a newbie can change this without rooting phone or creating a brick?

Well basically you can't do that with EMUI 5.0.1. I believe the Honor 6X does have 64GB internal storage, with probably 56GB usable, is that not enough space for all your apps? Things like music, photos and videos you can move to the SD card though, because that's really what external SD storage was intended for.

If you really needed to move apps to SD with this device, you'd definitely have to root it and see about using something like App2SD or Link2SD.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, but I don't see how any of that is relevant to my question : ( I sorted out the sd as default location, this was due to my work profile interfering. Still need to know how to reformat the sd as internal
Running 7.0 emui 5.0.1

My apologies I try to help with so many issues but most I've found was people just don't read their manuals for their device on simple fixes. But as took another look at yours I see that its not manual related. Try Asus File Manage It seemed to work for me but you have to keep in mind that some Developers have designed their apps not to be moved to SD cards no matter what app or process you use because it simply will not function from a external storage on your device.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
My apologies I try to help with so many issues but most I've found was people just don't read their manuals for their device on simple fixes. But as took another look at yours I see that its not manual related. Try Asus File Manage It seemed to work for me but you have to keep in mind that some Developers have designed their apps not to be moved to SD cards no matter what app or process you use because it simply will not function from external storage on your device.

Specifically, any app having this option in the manifest can't be moved to the SD card

Code:
android:installLocation="internalOnly"

Reactions: Hadron and KBU2
Upvote 0
Further information which may be relevant to the OP, from https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/manifest-element

Note that moving apps to external storage is of limited value, because the database files still reside on the internal storage:

"When an app is installed on the external storage:
  • The .apk file is saved to the external storage, but any app data (such as databases) is still saved on the internal device memory.
  • The container in which the .apk file is saved is encrypted with a key that allows the app to operate only on the device that installed it. (A user cannot transfer the SD card to another device and use apps installed on the card.) Though, multiple SD cards can be used with the same device.
  • At the user's request, the app can be moved to the internal storage.
The user may also request to move an app from the internal storage to the external storage. However, the system will not allow the user to move the app to external storage if this attribute is set to internalOnly, which is the default setting"

Reactions: Hadron and KBU2
Upvote 0
My apologies I try to help with so many issues but most I've found was people just don't read their manuals for their device on simple fixes. But as took another look at yours I see that its not manual related. Try Asus File Manage It seemed to work for me but you have to keep in mind that some Developers have designed their apps not to be moved to SD cards no matter what app or process you use because it simply will not function from a external storage on your device.

Thanks, this is why I thought it would be better to change the format of the SD card to internal. I had it like this on my old Samsung, but Honor doesn't appear to have this option.

Reactions: KBU2
Upvote 0
Thanks, this is why I thought it would be better to change the format of the SD card to internal. I had it like this on my old Samsung, but Honor doesn't appear to have this option.
Not all do. Actually Samsung don't include that option in their flagships (unless they've recently changed their policy) - SD is slower and less reliable, so I guess they prefer to leave it out for the higher-end phones which they market more on performance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones