• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot move any app to SD-Card on Samsung J7

I've added a 32GB SD-card to my Samsung Galaxy J7 (SM-J730F)
The SD-card is formatted on the device and is visible as device within the storage settings

When I tried to move apps to the SD-Card (Settings -> Apps -> Select app -> Select Storage -> Change storage), I don't see the change button for change the storage device
Also when moving documents I don't see the SD-Card as storage option.

I've tried reformatting the SD-Card.
When connectiong the J7 to a laptop, the SD-card is visible and documents can be put on the SD-Card.

Does anyone know, why I'm not able to move any apps to the SD-Card?
Is there some kind of security setting preventing this?
Could it be related to the type/size of the SD-Card?

Thanks

The SD-card is formatted on the device and is visible as device within the storage settings

When I tried to move apps to the SD-Card (Settings -> Apps -> Select app -> Select Storage -> Change storage), I don't see the change button for change the storage device

When connectiong the J7 to a laptop, the SD-card is visible and documents can be put on the SD-Card.

Thanks
first off not all apps can move to the sd card.

and second only parts of the apps can be moved to the sd card.

and thirdly you can format the card as internal storage. but if you do this, everything will be on the card and you will not be able to remove the card to be used on your pc for example or be able to access the card. it will have to stay put in the phone. keep in mind that by using the card as internal, you also subjugate the phone to wear and tear faster as it will now be reading and writing constantly. this will wear out the card faster and could cause issues later on.

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0

Thanks

FYI Samsung doesn't support moving apps to micro-SD with their devices. Althlough you might be able to move and save documents and other media to micro-SD, all depending on the whatever it is apps you're using.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response.

I'm aware that not all apps (like the Samsung apps) can be moved to a SD-card, but it should be possible for part of the non-Samsung apps. I'm not able to move any app at all. I'm also are not able to move documents.

I've added a screenshot of the storage settings (Sorry, it is in Dutch), at the bottom the SD-Card.

Is it possible that certain apps can change security settings to disable the option for using an SD-Card?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-25 at 20.42.07.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-25 at 20.42.07.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
Thank you for the response.

I'm aware that not all apps (like the Samsung apps) can be moved to a SD-card, but it should be possible for part of the non-Samsung apps. I'm not able to move any app at all. I'm also are not able to move documents.

I've added a screenshot of the storage settings (Sorry, it is in Dutch), at the bottom the SD-Card.

Is it possible that certain apps can change security settings to disable the option for using an SD-Card?
what sd card are you using?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones