• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't set lock screen

Indeed. Three explanations come to mind.

1. The British government simply does not allow its citizens to lock their tablets. Since you guys have no written constitution, you are arguably less protected from government intrusion. :D;):D;)
  2. The behavior shown in the video is the exact same behavior my tablet exhibits when the No Lock widget is active and set to Unlocked. In other words, an application could still have overridden the lock setting.
  3. Did you flash a custom ROM? Your UI does look different than mine (and my Tab also runs the latest 3.2.) E.g., your back arrow has a hook, while mine is straight. If you have not rooted, perhaps your carrier customized the UI and screwed this up in the process.

1: Haha I don't think the government is that strict here - we do have freedom of speech! :D...Plus when I first bought the Tab it had a lock screen.
2: Definitely no app running that would cause this - as I said before this problem persists after a factory reset.
3: Nope not rooted and no custom ROM - the arrow changed after the 3.2 update.

I might flash a custom ROM and see if that solves it. Its not a massive issue but is really frustrating. When you pay this much for something it should just work!

Upvote 0
  1. I hope it was clear that I was completely kidding about that. I actually am somewhat of a Britophile (?) and always enjoy going to your country/countries. And I do like mushrooms and tomatoes and beans in my breakfast! :)
  2. Ah, I missed the bit about factory reset having no effect.
  3. Did you take the video before updating to 3.2 then?

If no customization by whoever sold you the Tab is in play, the only thing left is a bug in either Honeycomb itself or TouchWiz

Upvote 0
Yeah it was clear you were only kidding! You have to have beans with a fried breakfast!!!

The video was made after the 3.2 update - the arrow changed after the update (although the lockscreen didn't work before the update either).

Yeah I might file a report. Like I said before its not a massive issue but just a little annoying....

Thanks for all the suggestions though. I will keep you updated if I find a solution!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Mine is curved too and has been that way since I bought it last year with v3.1 installed on it. I've seen Tabs instore and they all have the curved back arrow, both P7500 and P7510 models.

See this is really wierd. Mine was straight with when it was running 3.1 it was only after I updated to 3.2 that the arrow was curved. Weird :thinking:

Also - I'm not running a live wallpaper. Never have, so it can't be that either.

I think I am just going to have to live with it.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I had exactly the same problem until this morning when i reached your topic.
My tab is GT-P7500, 3G, running 3.1, having had screen lock. After Factory Data Reset, Configure Lock Screen did not work anymore whatever i tried.
But it is available now after i tried to process as below. I don't know what made it work again, so i just list down the steps i have made for your reference only.
1. Factory data reset again.
2. Upgrade to 3.2 (Setting --> About Deivce --> Software Update)
3. Turn off wifi and uncheck options for My Location (Setting --> Location and security --> My Location)
4. Set wallpaper for both home screen and lock screen (Setting --> Screen --> Screen display --> choose Wallpaper for Home screen and Lock screen (NOT Live wallpaper)
5. Tried to enter PIN to lock screen (Setting --> Location and security --> Lock screen --> PIN)

Hope you can fix it soon. 'cause as you said it is not a massive issue but is really frustrating.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Just a quick update on this:

I decided to root the tab over the weekend and see if installing a custom ROM would help. I opted for the Task ROM (v.14) as I hear this is one of the best out there for the Galaxy Tab 10.1. It certainly made the tablet run a lot smoother (especially after overclocking!) but I still couldn't set up a lockscreen, which really surprised me.

I then installed ICS to see if that would work - hey presto I have my lockscreen back and a fully functioning power button!! :D

I think there must be a bug or issue with the Stock ROM that samsung puts on it...possibly something to do with Touchwiz but I can't be sure. It's obviously only happening to a small minority.

Anyway the ICS ROM is great so going to stick with that for now!

Upvote 0
Cardenas96 - all due respect but the instructions krishankhanna gave were just the generic instructions of how to set a lock screen on any android device.

Everyone who has the problem highlighted in this thread will have (or at least should have) tried to set up a lock screen using this technique....The problem is when you try setting a lockscreen and then when you press the power button once (turn screen off) and press it again (to turn the screen back on) no lock screen appears. Despite the fact that I have tried to set up a pattern, a pin AND a password.

None of them work on my Tab. Can people please confirm if they have tried the krishankhanna technique (the normal way of setting lock screen) and it is not working for them. Or am I just going mad???

I too was having the same problem, but having just followed krishankhanna's instructions it now works. As for your last statement I don't have enough information to comment :D

Something else I just noticed when I watched the video again, you appeared to return to home before you powered off and then on. I powered off immediately after confirming the pattern. Maybe that extra step was enough to upset the procedure.

Upvote 0
I too was having the same problem, but having just followed krishankhanna's instructions it now works. As for your last statement I don't have enough information to comment :D

Something else I just noticed when I watched the video again, you appeared to return to home before you powered off and then on. I powered off immediately after confirming the pattern. Maybe that extra step was enough to upset the procedure.

Nope I tried this as well. For some reason it wouldn't work...As I said before Krishankhanna's instructions are just the standard way of setting a lock screen...or am I missing a fundamental difference?! :thinking:

Liking ICS on the tab anyway!

Upvote 0
I have an 8.9 as well and had the same FRUSTRATING issue.

But I was able to solve it...

I had originally set a pin number up. So instead I set up a password, hit the power button to turn the screen off, and then again to turn it on.....and SHAZAM! it worked!!! To be sure, I went back and tested it again, this time changing the security mode to a pin number instead. Success!

Upvote 0
Hi, I am having the same problem with my htc flyer tablet, when I try to configure my lock screen it will return back to the wireless & networks page but recently I discover that if I use the setting shortcut icon on the main screen this problem occur but when I use the standard or long method by going in to all applications page, then select the setting icon to configure the lock screen, I am able to configure or change my lock screen & password, I also realised that I need no power off or reset my tablet for the password to function.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones