• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't stop phone from using up my data

Leea9

Apr 6, 2016
I have an extremely limited data plan. So I turn off mobile data in Data Manager and turned off background data. My intent was to turn on mobile data only when I had to get an email. I use WiFi when I can and if I can't get WiFi I just go without. Some things use data anyway. Most of them are less than 2Mb so I don't care, and it is good that PulsePoint has access. However Google Maps uses up all my data. It uses over 40Mb per month, not sure just how much because I run out. I have checked Restrict Background Data and done all I can. I never use it where it needs data. I need it and use it for offline maps so don't want to uninstall it. I have not even accessed Google Maps in the last couple of weeks and it still uses data.

Why doesn't turning off Mobile Data stop it from using data. Other apps use a little bit as well.

I have an LG G3 with Android 6.0.

thanks
Lee

Turning off Data and turning Restrict Background Data on should stop all, or almost all, data usage.

Have you looked at other GPS maps? It's possible to not use any data with some navigation apps that let you download entire maps beforehand using WiFi. Since the map is already on the phone no data is used for GPS navigation.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=offline+map&c=apps&rating=1

If you find one that works you can disable Google Maps to prevent data usage.

Have you also set Google Play to only update on WiFi?
1. Open the Play Store.
2. In the top left corner tap the menu icon.
3. Tap Settings.
4. Tap Auto Update Apps.
5. Tap the option you want. The WiFi option will only use WiFi. "Update apps anytime" can use your mobile data. "Do not auto update apps" will not update any apps.

Upvote 0
Like this..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180627-150421.png
    Screenshot_20180627-150421.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Since Google Maps is a default program on my phone I am not able to disable it or uninstall it. All I could do was reset it to factory default. I did that, we will see if that stops it from using data. That is too bad, I had local maps loaded for all the places I travel to which was very conveinent.

Upvote 0
Starting with Marshmallow there's a feature called 'Doze', it's primarily referred to as a battery saving function but it also includes the option to restrict background data usage since that can also be a battery power-related issue. Go into your Settings >> Apps menu, find the Google Maps app entry and open it. Depending on your carrier's interface, there will be some setting on restricting background data usage (could be shown as 'background data', or it could be buried in a 'Details' menu, or 'Data usage', or whatever, just dig around for it). Do the same for other apps you've seen using up your mobile data usage.
If you like Google Maps, no sense in installing third-party alternatives to do the same function when you just need to take control over how the Google Maps app is working.

Another option is to install a firewall app. This allows you granular control over how apps use both WiFi and mobile data individually. Take a look at 'NoRoot Data Firewall' as an example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jianjia.firewall

Upvote 0
Hmm, I have 6.0 which I think is Marshmallow but I can't find Doze. There are apps I can download I find searching for Doze but they don't seem to be what you mentioned. I have gone to the apps menu and restricted everything I can find on Google Maps, including background data usage, but it didn't do it. I am installing the Firewall app you mentioned right now and will see if it takes care of it.

Upvote 0
I went to the Lifehacker link you provided and the steps and info doesn't match my phone. For example under Battery and Power Saving I don't have a menu option. Other sites are about the same so they must be referring to Android 7. So on my phone since I carry it with me and so there is movement Doze is not active. They suggested I download Greenify and so I am playing with that and trying to figure it out. I will see if it helps.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
I thought location was the GPS which doesn't need data. Looking at the data usage in Data Manager I don't see anything that looks like location, shouldn't it be there?
That's technically correct, Location (GPS) does not require mobile data, nor WiFi, nor a cellular service plan for that matter. It's not an online connectivity type of feature since it's all reliant on a GPS chip in your device linking to GPS satellites in the sky. Basically the same technology in discrete hand-held GPS units, in aircraft and boats, in a lot of automobiles now, etc. (none of which require a cellular service plan).
The issue with Location (GPS) is that it might draw a lot of battery power, depending on where you are. If your outside not much at all, but if you're in the basement of a building with no windows but a lot of concrete, metal, and soil around you, then your device is working a lot harder searching for things like cellular and GPS signals so the battery is getting tapped quite a bit more than usual.

Upvote 0
I have never noticed battery drain from GPS searching for signal. The only time I worry about battery drain is when I am hiking in the north woods and there is no cell signal. Apparently searching for a cell tower takes a lot of battery and kills it before the end of the day.

Location: Because I have PulsePoint I set it to use GPS and cell towers for best accuracy. I don't notice much battery drain or data usage.
I installed 3G Watchdog and it reports small usage by OS Services, Google App, and NoRoot Data Firewall, which is the total of everything else at less than a kb so I don't worry about it. At least I seem to have stopped Google Maps from using all my data so far. We will see what happens if it fires up again since I can't get rid of it.

Upvote 0
Is your phone carrier branded? That might be why you can't disable. Carriers need a place to stick the local "you are here and so is this" ads. Sounds like someone is making percentage of a cent if an ad appears on your screen.

Here's a list with the same as the others posted and a few more suggestions.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/11-ways-to-trick-android-into-using-less-data/

Are you syncing anything?

Upvote 0
It is unlocked and not tied to a carrier. I don't sync anything, that chews up data. It was tied to AT&T and every time I open contacts it tries to open my AT&T address book which is most annoying because it can't open it. So it sits there spinning trying until I abort that. If it uses data I think it might be under OS Services. Is that where it would be? If so it isn't much since it can't connect.
I have done all 11 suggestions.

Upvote 0
I'm puzzled by this. On any of my phones turning data off turns data off, end of.

It might be related to it being an ATT handset (unlocked, but still ATT modified firmware) - I've no personal experience of what carriers do to phones (mine are always unbranded, and I'm not American so would have no reason to buy an ATT phone). Can you tell us what phone it is? It's just possible that would be relevant

Upvote 0
Interesting idea. It could be AT&T firmware. Because turning off data does not turn off data.
The phone is a D850, or LG G3.

That could be it. Phone is geared to talk to the mothership.
TMobile has done this. They included Doubletwist on one of their phones. At the time, if you bought the phone outright, and didn't want data, you didn't have to buy data. I didn't want data as the plans weren't worth it, but Doubletwist was set to open itself at least once a day. Not sure what the trigger was. DT couldn't run - no data, but as a pestering technique to sign up for data it was probably worth it to TMO. At least to those who got higher commissions on higher priced plans.

Maybe someone can answer - before unlimited, you got charged both in and out for calls. Is the data doing the same? Every time it tries to connect it uses data searching until you end the search?

Can you say ROOT?

Will keep any eye on the Rugby. However, that IS a flip so runs differently than Android.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones