• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't turn off ringtone

M

makeamove1999

I like to use custom sounds/ringtones for my incoming text messages. The one I currently have is about twenty seconds long. Anyway, I was at work the other day doing a presentation and I thought I had my phone on vibrate. I did not and received a text message and the ringtone went off. I pushed the volume button down to silence it but it would not. If the phone is in lock mode, is it not possible to silence a message? Thanks.

To clarify the issue:

Ringtone: played when the phone rings

Notification: used when an email or text message arrives. Used when you hook up the usb plug. Also, various programs use this notification tone, i.e. Google Voice, Google Talk, etc..

It sounds like you are talking about a NOTIFICATION, not a RingTone.. right?

You CAN stop a RINGTONE from a phone call, but as far as I know,

YOU CANNOT STOP a NOTIFICATION when the phone is locked. You have to unlock and swipe down at the "Notification bar".. that will immediately stop the play of the notification tone...

Typical "notification tones" are short, so I don't believe there was really a reason to 'stop' a notification tone while it is playing..

FC

Upvote 0
...except for those that are setting up long tones for notifications. I don't understand why anyone would do that but I also don't see why having the option to cancel a notification would be a negative. I can cancel any alert on my Blackberry.

It's another one of those "just because you don't see the point doesn't mean it's universally pointless" things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones