• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Case/screen protector question

jmcook79

Android Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2013
Florida
I'm posting this in the accessories forum rather than my phone's forum because it's more of a general question that could apply to any phone.

I have a matte screen protector which I find indispensable because I hate fingerprints and it is very scratch resistant. It's a cheap one from eBay but I'm completely happy with it. The problem is I also ordered a TPU case and the edges of the case don't come up far enough to cover the edges of the screen protector. The result is the case causes air bubbles to form on the corners of the protector. I've already had to take it off twice and reapply and finally I bent it in a few places so now I have more on order.

The thing is I absolutely can't go without a case. I'm clumsy and although I've managed not to drop my phone so far, I know I will end up dropping it dozens of times. I've got Aspergers syndrome so a little clumsiness comes with the territory lol. Literally every phone I've owned that I used "naked" eventually died due to drops. Once I started using cases this stopped happening because they absorb the shock.

Sorry to be so long winded but here is my actual question. There are 2 types of cases made for my phone that cover the edges enough so that it will completely cover the screen protector and eliminate the air bubble problem. One is a rubberized 2 piece snap on case, but I've heard that they tend to fly apart when dropped, and that would defeat the purpose of having a case or would it?
Here is the one I'm talking about. The other one is a double layer case with an inner silicone case and an outer plastic case shown
here. I'm just looking for opinions because even thoiugh the phone only cost $100, that's a lot of money to me and I want to protect it.

Thanks

Personally speaking, if the choice was mine, I would go with the second choice case (the $17.99 one). It offers better protection than the first one as it covers the ports and protects the buttons on the sides. Great that it can prevent dust, lint and dirt from getting into the ports. Even if dropped in grass and dirt, the port covers should keep most of the junk out of the ports. Has corner bumpers for added protection against knocks to the corners of the device.

Reactions: jmcook79
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice, personally I think it's a really cool case for the price. About as close to an Otterbox as I can find for my phone. I love the 2 tone colors as well. It's the one I was favoring and I thing I'm going to order it now. I I just re-read the description and really like this as well.

"The lcd screen is also recessed deep within the case for added protection - will not touch the surface when placing your phone on a table face down."

However, I would like to know how easily the 2 piece hard ones fall apart. My girlfriend has one but she NEVER drops her phone...she had her last phone 3 years and it looked basically brand new when I sold it on eBay! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I like the second case as well. Inner soft tpu layer will be great for shock absorption and outer hard plastic pc layer will keep tpu from pulling off the edges. Plus you get a bonus screen protector since you need a replacement one anyway.

But here is a thing. Everything looks great on the pictures, but you can only judge it once it's in your hands. You can have a better assessment of the case if it's a known brand/design. With ebay it could be hit'or'miss. This case is priced higher than typical cheap ebay cases, so that's a plus. The seller is from US, so if its defective or feels lose - you don't have to wait another 20 days for a replacement. Since your phone is not a common model, you don't have too many choices. So perhaps that duo-shield is a good one to try it out.

Now, I do want to point something out. Typically the edge of the case is not intended to sit on top of the screen protector, and actually designed with some margin. You want to have some space in there, otherwise the lip of the case will be rubbing or pushing against the edge of screen protector and will result in lifting it up. The reason why you see bubbles and edges are not sticking well is because of the quality of screen protector, or could be because display wasn't wiped well and has some oily spots, or maybe there are oily spots on the edge of "sticky" side of the screen protector where fingers touched it? I'm not suggesting you did anything wrong, and for all I know it could be just a defective screen protector :)

Btw, once you make a decision and get your case, don't forget to post some pictures and let us know how you like it!

Reactions: jmcook79
Upvote 0
Actually I had the screen protector on my phone about a week before I got the TPU case and I had no issues withthe screen protector peeling up on the edges. I think the problem was that the screen protector was actually too large and that allowed the case to press against the edges because the gap wasn't big enough. On the new case the pictures show the silicone part of the new case coming up much higher than the other case...it comes almost all the way up to the home button and down to the speaker on top. I think it actually will cover the whole edge of the screen protector and then some.

As you said, though, I won't know until it's in my hands. I will definitely post pictures it should be here by Friday :D

Upvote 0
The thing is I absolutely can't go without a case. I'm clumsy and although I've managed not to drop my phone so far, I know I will end up dropping it dozens of times. I've got Aspergers syndrome so a little clumsiness comes with the territory lol.

I don't know anyone who has managed to never drop their phone, it's just a fact of life so don't feel like you're clumsy. A phone without a bumper is just an accident waiting to happen!

Upvote 0
Yeah, nobody's perfect after all. And those that do claim to be perfect are full of it...

I had the original Note and dropped it a few times. The Note 2 was dropped a couple times as well. Good thing for the Otterbox Commuter and tempered glass protecting it. Otherwise, I can imagine it being toasted by now. You can imagine my heart skipping every time that happens... LOL.

Upvote 0
After using it for 4 days I absolutely love it! I also found out the reason my wife's TPU case didn't cause her screen protector to get bubbles on the corners. I was looking closely at hers today and it doesn't come as far up on any of the edges as much as mine did. Because of this it can't reach the edge of the screen protector to cause bubbles. Mine came too far up, just enough to contat the screen protector.

I'm glad this all happened though because my new case offers a little more protection than just TPU and also a good grip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones