• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CAT S60 - Water ingress after light usage in the pool

Is yours a dual sim model?

The US model was made later than the dual sim model... Maybe they changed something in manufacturing?

So the defect phone produce for europe? How to find differences of both version? I find in reviews that back door is different.

Maybe its a presale variant? Wich is yours back door?

Attachments

• cat-s60-thermal-imaging-smartphone-540x334.png
    cat-s60-thermal-imaging-smartphone-540x334.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 390
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
Some of our local manufacturers of, say for example, car tyres, have outsourced their production to other coutries (still in Europe though). Grip and overall quality of the tyres have marked differences depending on the production location. Some have even gone as far as to market their products from outsourced manufacturing under different brand names.

In other news, CAT returned my email and are asking for proof of purchase. I'll have to go through my carrier if they decide to replace the phone, but because technically I don't own the phone but have it on lease (at least I think so because of the monthly payments)... we'll see how it plays out.

I didn't know the EU and US versions of the phones are different. Would somebody with the US version post a closeup photo of the US version's gasket?

Upvote 0
So the defect phone produce for europe? How to find differences of both version? I find in reviews that back door is different.

Maybe its a presale variant? Wich is yours back door?

So I had the US model which failed. But again this is all speculation and a guess from my history. I have no clue how CAT does this. Mine is currently at the repair facility so I cannot give any info about my device or pictures.

Some of our local manufacturers of, say for example, car tyres, have outsourced their production to other coutries (still in Europe though). Grip and overall quality of the tyres have marked differences depending on the production location. Some have even gone as far as to market their products from outsourced manufacturing under different brand names.

In other news, CAT returned my email and are asking for proof of purchase. I'll have to go through my carrier if they decide to replace the phone, but because technically I don't own the phone but have it on lease (at least I think so because of the monthly payments)... we'll see how it plays out.

I didn't know the EU and US versions of the phones are different. Would somebody with the US version post a closeup photo of the US version's gasket?

Exactly.

I would give a pic if I could but unfortunately mine is at the repair center. I purchased it outright from the CAT store in the US. I should know in the next couple weeks if they are even going to fix it. There is no way to check the status of the RMA without calling and even then they have no answers... Good customer service there.

Sigh maybe I will just go back to an S7 with the external flir sensor (or use the nice Flir camera my work provides) .. Like I said before the much more "delicate" S7 was 5 feet down with no issues. My wifes has no issues after being in water and even my brothers.. 3 for 3 in the positive for the sammy. But man do I dislike their OS customizations. I hope the new google(Nexus er Pixel maybe?) phones have a good IP rating but I know they wont.

Upvote 0
So I came home to brand new S60 on my doorstep... A $600 phone not sign on delivery lol..
It is a brand new model with the dual sim software and 2 IMEI numbers. My old one did not have this.
According to the box it supports the same bands as my NA model it is replacing but I haven't put my sim in it yet.
Build # LTE_D0201121.0_S60_0.022.02
Baseband 0.022.02
Made in China.

I did put it under water for 10 minutes. 1 foot. No issues. So far so good!

Upvote 0
So I came home to brand new S60 on my doorstep... A $600 phone not sign on delivery lol..
It is a brand new model with the dual sim software and 2 IMEI numbers. My old one did not have this.
According to the box it supports the same bands as my NA model it is replacing but I haven't put my sim in it yet.
Baseband 0.022.02
Made in China.

I think You have had the presale variant of phone before! Can You give photo of new?

Upvote 0
I think You have had the presale variant of phone before! Can You give photo of new?

Here ya go.

And one extra photo taken with my S7 of my phones haha... I have a problem...

Attachments

• 20160928_172231.jpg
    20160928_172231.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 413
  • 20160928_204904.jpg
    20160928_204904.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 420
  • 20160928_204913.jpg
    20160928_204913.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 424
  • 20160928_204920.jpg
    20160928_204920.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0
Baseband 0.022.02
Made in China.

New phone is from service or from seller?

Upvote 0
How it happened?
Its hard to say really. It was submerged in flowing water (2ft) a few times during the day, but only for like one minute per submersion . It was also raining outside, so the total moisture level was very high (my clothes were wet also). The condensation under the camera lens appeared 6-8 hours after the submersion. I was spending my time mostly semi-outdoors in a cover for the rain. There was also some steam caused by the heaters and wet clothing.

I have tested it's waterproofness in a sink before, and there were no problems whatsoever. So either the water flow, the high-humid environment, or the steam was too much. However my friends also had their phones with them, and they didn't get any water inside their phones. The only difference was that I submerged my phone while my friends didn't.

Upvote 0
Its hard to say really. It was submerged in flowing water (2ft) a few times during the day, but only for like one minute per submersion . It was also raining outside, so the total moisture level was very high (my clothes were wet also). The condensation under the camera lens appeared 6-8 hours after the submersion. I was spending my time mostly semi-outdoors in a cover for the rain. There was also some steam caused by the heaters and wet clothing.

I have tested it's waterproofness in a sink before, and there were no problems whatsoever. So either the water flow, the high-humid environment, or the steam was too much. However my friends also had their phones with them, and they didn't get any water inside their phones. The only difference was that I submerged my phone while my friends didn't.
Have You opened the sim card door before that trouble? Or something extraordinary?

Upvote 0
The issue with that is, the gasket is internal of the yellow switch. Water gets in the back door no matter what which is fine. As long as the gasket protects the important parts from getting wet. The waterproofing is on the interior of the door, and the seal between the latch only needs to hold it tight to the body of the phone to activate the gaskets seal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones