• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Getting rid of TV animation when shutting off screen

MaxPower1

Jan 3, 2011
My phone rebooted by itself yesterday and when it turned back on I noticed that when the screen shuts off I get an animation of a TV shutting off. I can't figure out how to get rid of that or why it started doing that all of a sudden. Any suggestions? I'm running MeanROM and anthrax kernel.

The folder contains:

green-boot-down-anim.zip
make-leedroid-beats-compatible.zip
remove-beats.zip
spinning-carousel-4x4.zip
spinning-carousel-4x5.zip
sprint-zone-for-star-2.zip
sprintTV.zip
standard-4x4-rosie.zip
stock-kernel.zip
stock-lock-ring.zip
stock-status-bar.zip
stock-swype-EN-ES.zip
volume-rocker-wake.zip

it doesn't look like any of those will remove that animation.

Upvote 0
Ok, I found out how to do it.

First, make a NANDroid, in case something goes wrong (Always make a nandroid before modifying /system files)

Download ES File Explorer, or any other app that is a root explorer. Then go to the /system folder and open build.prop.

In build.prop, you will change this line:

Code:
debug.sf.hw=1
to
Code:
debug.sf.hw=0
Then save/reboot

That disables CRT.

Upvote 0
Ok, I found out how to do it.

First, make a NANDroid, in case something goes wrong (Always make a nandroid before modifying /system files)

Download ES File Explorer, or any other app that is a root explorer. Then go to the /system folder and open build.prop.

In build.prop, you will change this line:

Code:
debug.sf.hw=1
to
Code:
debug.sf.hw=0
Then save/reboot

That disables CRT.

I don't see that line on my build.prop file. I did a Google search for debug.sf.hw=1 to see if it might be somewhere else and my build.prop file doesn't look anything like the ones other people have.

I have ROM Toolbox Pro but I couldn't find it in the Editor in there either.

Upvote 0
:(

Ok, what version of MeanROM are you running? It'll say it in Settings > About Phone > Software Information. I can see if I can find a copy of it and try going through it's build.prop to see where it is in that ROM.

Or...you can flash the new MeanROM. It doesn't appear to have the CRT animation in it. <-- Probably the easiest/quickest way of doing it

Or you can contact the developer for MeanROM, I'm sure he could tell you how to disable it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have an Android Forums account that I know of, so you would have to register at XDA to PM him. xda-developers - View Profile: mikeyxda

Reactions: MaxPower1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones