• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Guidance from the wise requested.

Thefoodman52

Android Expert
Dec 1, 2009
Here's a question I don't see asked often.

Is there another ROM other than Viperboy's that DOESN'T sound boo-twah? (booty)

I mean SERIOUSLY. The beats audio thing is nifty, but it still sounds like glorified @#$!. I want DSP manager. I've found a few ROM's that HAVE dsp, but it's not incorporated very well, and causes lots of distortion. None of viper's do, but I'm not happy with how stable his are. They crash at least three times a day.
They're also kinda old, and don't have any of the GPU tweaks the new ones do to make games/home screens smoother.

Any suggestions? I want it to sound good, and be smooth. Battery can be whatever. I have 4 batteries.

This is what I am using now, see how you like it

[ROM]Nocturnal Xplod XE E3D Beats Audio w/EQ - Reinvent the EVO (
multipage.gif
1 2 3)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Viperboy's rom is amazingly stable for me...

Are you running the stock kernal or did you change to a different one?

If different, go back to stock. If stock, go into vc and disable the undervolting. Some phones just don't like it and the rom is set to do it by default. If all else fails try asking viperboy in the thread. It's like a chat room in there. He usually answers in a few hours.

I've yet to find a rom as stable as his. It's really that good.

Upvote 0
The only thing, and I do mean only, is that in the Olympus ROM, it's missing DSP manager.
That kills it, on the spot, for me. That sucks, hard. Mainly because that's the smoothest ROM I've found to-date.

Also, I wasn't overly-fond of the xperia ported one. Just not really feeling it.

Also, to ovrrdrive, I was using the old (I do mean old. The first iteration of viperROM. Very first stable release) ones. Stock kernel that's included. Now I'm on his most recent, coupled with the kernel jero posted. I actually stumbled on that one before he posted it. Very happy with it, just wish it had some more of the performance optimization that other ones (namely Olympus) have now. I might contact him about it and see if he has plans to include those tweaks.

Upvote 0

THIS^. I noticed a significant difference after flashing this kernel, both on the audio out and phone speakers. Now, you may be thinking "Beats, huh? I asked for no beats." Well, I don't know the science behind it, but the music sounds clearer with this kernel. I'm using this kernel with the most current Olympus ROM (which I find rather lackluster) and sound is great.

Upvote 0
THIS^. I noticed a significant difference after flashing this kernel, both on the audio out and phone speakers. Now, you may be thinking "Beats, huh? I asked for no beats." Well, I don't know the science behind it, but the music sounds clearer with this kernel. I'm using this kernel with the most current Olympus ROM (which I find rather lackluster) and sound is great.

I'm with you on that one.
I think the reason why the audio is clearer, is because that/this kernel (currently using it) has all the audio codecs instead of just the EQ beats has that a lot of roms are just slapping on.

*bias*I know viper's roms have always has exceptionally superior audio by them selves alone against most everything else *bias*
It is a rather odd question to ask for sound quality, out of a phone. Noting that the phone usually just plays back compressed audio. Meh. I'm content for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones