• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] HTC security update 2.08.651.3 rolling out 10/25/11. **ROOT USERS DISCUSS ONLY**

As the title says, the update is now available to download. It says it addresses security issues so I'm assuming it was the ones recently talked about so much.

My root'd self will be waiting for an alternative method to get this update. :cool:

If it's the security update to the CIQ disaster, then you should already be protected as a rooted user. Assuming, of course, that you've flashed a semi-recent ROM (like Synergy, Infected, Viper, etc)

Upvote 0
Wait for it to be incorporated into a rom don't take the ota

I think THIS is what I was waiting for...but since this is my first rodeo with an update on a rooted phone, what exactly do I do with that file? :eek:
I rooted via HTC's unlock method and have been on the stock rom.

Sorry I'm asking root questions in the main root board :(

Upvote 0
I think THIS is what I was waiting for...but since this is my first rodeo with an update on a rooted phone, what exactly do I do with that file? :eek:

Then do not take this update! It will probably unroot you. Although, you're HTC unlocked. So, at worse, you may have to re-unlock and reflash the SU zip. Most likely it would remove your SU access, only.

Upvote 0
Then do not take this update! It will probably unroot you. Although, you're HTC unlocked. So, at worse, you may have to re-unlock and reflash the SU zip. Most likely it would remove your SU access, only.

I knew that much...but the link I gave was to a file a dev on XDA posted (OTA_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.08.651.3-2.08.651.2_release_2201598na37g8l1af4e904.zip) so I assumed that was a way for rooted people to apply the update....but I just didn't know how to get that file installed on my phone properly.

Upvote 0

Do not take an update over the air!!!! as Jerold said. I am assuming that thread you linked is to DL a stock ROM that has the latest update incorporated. If that is the case, then download it to your computer and then copy it to the root of your SD card. Boot into recovery. Wipe cache and Dalvik(you can do a full wipe if it makes you feel better...many people do although not necessary going from stock to stock). ANd then flash the new ROM. Simple as that.

In the future, if you start flashing other ROMs(with modified kernels) you will have to do an ADB command to get modified kernels to flash. The HTC method does not partition the SD card where the kernels hang out....;)

Upvote 0
I was going to take one for the team and install it, but it appears you can't flash official updates in TWRP. I will try to extract the stock recovery from the RUU and flash it. If it works I will post the recovery image.

Actually the evo 3d RUU wont run on my work computer. I can run the hero ruu, so I extracted and flashed the hero stock recovery to my 3d and ... it didnt work. I assumed htc wouldnt have changed the stock recovery, but they did. If anyone else wants to try to extract the recovery image from the RUU, the instructions are in this post:
[GUIDE] Get Stock Recovery/Install OTA Updates without losing data. - xda-developers
and the RUU is here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1092957

Upvote 0
I am currently running hboot1.5 and am unlocked (HTC Method) and rooted. If I DL the OTA, will it unroot my phone? I'm not running any custom ROM's or anything.

The general rule of thumb is to not accept any OTA updates when rooted. Devs are usually very quick about incorporating updates into their ROMS. Of course, it depends on the magnitude of the update.

Upvote 0
I was going to take one for the team and install it, but it appears you can't flash official updates in TWRP. I will try to extract the stock recovery from the RUU and flash it. If it works I will post the recovery image.

Actually the evo 3d RUU wont run on my work computer. I can run the hero ruu, so I extracted and flashed the hero stock recovery to my 3d and ... it didnt work. I assumed htc wouldnt have changed the stock recovery, but they did. If anyone else wants to try to extract the recovery image from the RUU, the instructions are in this post:
[GUIDE] Get Stock Recovery/Install OTA Updates without losing data. - xda-developers
and the RUU is here:
[RUU] RUU_Shooter_Sprint_WWE_1-11-651-2_radio_radio_0-97-00-0518_nv_spcs_1-15_release - xda-developers
if you are running a custom rom, all these holes are closed. if not it will be incorporated in all new roms

Upvote 0
FYI this link you posted is for the HTC Sensation, not your EVO 3D

and the RUU is here:
[RUU] RUU_Shooter_Sprint_WWE_1-11-651-2_radio_radio_0-97-00-0518_nv_spcs_1-15_release - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones