• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Is ICS still the most stable ROM for Evo 3D?

xevious

Jun 12, 2010
Near NYC
I've been using Android 4.0.3 (2.89.651.2) with S-OFF and 1.58.58 HBoot with no problems. Everything is working fine and for all intents and purposes I should probably just leave it as-is. But... the customizing itch is starting up for me and I'd like to explore some ROM's.

I can't remember where I'd read it, but it was a while back... maybe in Jan '13, that the Evo 3D was meant for ICS and therefore the JellyBean ROM's will always bring with them various compromises (such as stability). Flash at your own risk. Well that was then, this is now. I do realize that many developers have moved on to other phones and that the Evo 3D is starting to go the way of the old Hero. But... on the odd chance...

I did notice that there is a Sprint update to the stock ICS ROM, version 2.95. I don't know what it introduces and if it's worthwhile to get, but I did read that if you've got HBoot 1.58 with S-OFF, you have to switch it to S-ON to apply it and you won't be able to go back to S-OFF.

I've been thinking about flashing Cool Sense ICS v17, MIUI V5, or Viper 3D 1.6.3. Anybody have experience with one or more of these and can share recommendations/experiences? My thought is to go with Cool Sense, since it's ICS. But if the MIUI or Viper JB ROM's have overcome earlier JB limitations, I'd be up to try them.

Thanks!

sense 4.1 is the only version i personally am fond of. its the "prettiest" of them all,IMO. ive always been a diehard AOSP fan with no love for older sense versions.

each step away from 4.1 sense is becoming bland and not nearly as visually appealing,IMO. as an AOSP fan, i dont really use any sense features so my opinion is based entirely on the visual experience,how the menus,icons,keyboard,etc. look.

tho 5 and 5.5 do bring some nice features if you like sense

my ultimate rom would actually be a 4.3,sense 4.0-themed AOSP rom with ZOE,boomsound,lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones