• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Moto G Stock 4.4.4 and 5.1 Soak Tests {Boost Mobile}

Sounds like stock recovery. Flash TWRP with fastboot, if it fails, try an older CWM that is a smaller size and then use it to flash TWRP flashable zip.

I flashed philz touch recovery and tried to flash the zip but I get:
failed to set up expected mounts for install: aborting

this is the recovery I used:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2639583

edit: Tried twrp but got:
E:Unable to mount /cache
E:Unable to mount /system

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I flashed philz touch recovery and tried to flash the zip but I get:
failed to set up expected mounts for install: aborting

this is the recovery I used:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2639583

edit: Tried twrp but got:
E:Unable to mount /cache
E:Unable to mount /system
You need to unzip the file I posted, and put the folder in your TWRP backup folder. You need go to /data/media/0/TWRP/backup, and put it there. Then go to restore backup option in TWRP.

Upvote 0
You need to unzip the file I posted, and put the folder in your TWRP backup folder. You need go to /data/media/0/TWRP/backup, and put it there. Then go to restore backup option in TWRP.

I have the files there but nothing shows up in Restore. I can even see them in the file manager or when using 'adb shell'

/data/media/0/TWRP/backup/2015-10-17--LPB23.13-56-xt1031-5 # ls
boot.emmc.win
system.ext4.win
system.info

Upvote 0
OK, I see your problem. Inside the folder named backup, you should have a folder with your phine's serial number. Something like TY9520LLY. The folder with the date that actually contains s the backup should be in that. /data/media/0/TWRP/TY950LLY/2015-10-17--LPB23.13-56. If you try to make a backup even with no OS installed, TWRP should create the folder with the correct serial number. If the serial number isn't there, TWRP will not recognize the backup.

Upvote 0
OK, I see your problem. Inside the folder named backup, you should have a folder with your phine's serial number. Something like TY9520LLY. The folder with the date that actually contains s the backup should be in that. /data/media/0/TWRP/TY950LLY/2015-10-17--LPB23.13-56. If you try to make a backup even with no OS installed, TWRP should create the folder with the correct serial number. If the serial number isn't there, TWRP will not recognize the backup.

I got it to find and restore the image but it's still just booting to recovery instead of system. "Boot" and "System" are both checked before I do the restore.

edit: I got it to get to the Motorola intro sequence but now it just stays there.
edit2: Wow finally I got in. Thanks.

edit3: One problem seems to be that I can't flash any zips from here: https://basketbuild.com/devs/Seraph08/falcon
I was able to get them working before. I guess there's still something messed up?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Greetings: 40+ yrs in Elex and Confuser repair...so I am kinda behind on this newer stuff. I have XT1031 that went into bootloop and now won't get past the 1st splash screen. This notcto long after it asked for update, which I refused. It had 4.4.2. After the forced update it showed 4.4.4. Prior the "stuck on stupid" it was great from day 1. Around the update it got sliw and started locking up in app transitions and during typing messages. Last count of memory was 72%. I think this 1 is the 8G not the 16G. I went to a E2, which I hated, now on a E4, 1 week old to me. To new to evaluate. It seens much faster. But then they all do at 1st. Id like 2 repair my old G1. 5 years and not a scratch or glitch until the phantom update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones