• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] second hand phone - rom and rooting question

mp3jeep

Mar 14, 2012
I just picked up a used evo 3d cdma. I went into the boot menu and see the following.

RELOCKED
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT 1.58.0000
RADIO-1.09.00.0108
OpenADSP-v02.6.0.2226.00.0217
eMMC-boot
may 17 2012, 15:06:44

I'm wanting to load a gingerbread rom but unsure if I need to unlock it since it say relocked. I think from my reading I need a hboot of 1.50 or lower for gingerbread? Can anyone point me in the right direction, and any recommendation on a GB custom rom Thanks

Lucky for you, you're S-off already. This means that you can actually downgrade your hboot. No need to unlock because you're S-off.

Go to my thread here: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/648902-radios-hboot-firmware-all-downloads.html

Get the jb_1.50.5050 hboot from post 2. Look at post one and click "show". Read those instructions, take note of the special instructions at the bottom. Make sure you understand them before moving forward.

You can ask questions here if there's something you don't understand. But you will get stuck in a bootloop if you don't use the correct order of operations downgrading your hboot and switching to a Gingerbread rom.

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian, I have read through your tutorial and learned a lot. I decided to give it a go and got stopped with both rom tool box lite and quick reboot. This phone I guess doesn't have root and no custom recovery. I was browsing this thread
http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3...shing-evo-3d-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html
newbies guide to rooting. I assume I should start there and Don't Do step 4 which is unlocking? Thanks again

Upvote 0
D'oh. I didn't think about you not having root.

Use this bootloader flashable 4ext recovery: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6q8wi58xzidgan/4ext_1.0.0.5.rc9_PG86IMG.zip

Rename to PG86IMG.zip before using. That will add custom recovery. Then flash the latest supersu. Download the zip from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/368/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.75.zip

Flashing that through 4ext recovery will give you root.

So use PG86IMG.zip to flash recovery.

Flash supersu via recovery.

Then use the steps in my other thread to downgrade hboot and flash whichever GB rom you want...

Actually... If you are just wanting the stock Gingerbread rom running the RUU might be easier.

https://copy.com/mRqRrNlrjfP6R0E8

The RUU will put you exactly where you are now but you'll be on hboot 1.50.0000 and the stock GB rom instead of ICS.

From there you could flash 4ext recovery via the bootloader and then supersu.

Then you'd be rooted on stock GB. Or after recovery, you could flash a GB rom of your choosing.

So if you decide to use the RUU, do that first. Then add recovery.

If you don't use the RUU, start with recovery then root. Then proceed with the hboot downgrade.

Upvote 0
Thanks a ton Brian, I really appreciate it!!! While I was waiting for a response I figured I'd roll the dice with Juopunutbear Patched Hboots: jb 1.58.5858
md5: 3427030A36EEAC530C12E031DFF70547

I figured it wouldn't do any harm since I'm at 1.58. I flashed it, rebooted the phone, removed the file from my card and went back into the bootmenu. It still showed 1.58 nothing changed. I went back to your howto and checked the md5. It seems the link for jb 1.58.5858 is incorrect, its pointing me to 1.58 and not the modded version. So much for checking before flashing... :(

I'll try what you said above - many thanks

Upvote 0
That's because you flashed the Juopunutbear 1.58.5858. :p The stock is 1.58.0000. The jp bear hboot is just a modified version of the stock bootloader.

Just go with my last post, either the RUU then recovery and root, or add recovery and root to what you have and then downgrade to the jb_1.50.5050 and a gb rom with the special downgrade instructions.

The RUU is probably the simplest and safest method to get where you want... I'd probably just do this:

-Run RUU: https://copy.com/mRqRrNlrjfP6R0E8
-Flash 4ext via bootloader: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6q8wi58xzidgan/4ext_1.0.0.5.rc9_PG86IMG.zip
-Flash SuperSU via 4ext: SuperSU Download

Reactions: mp3jeep
Upvote 0
I tried the RUU, first it said my battery was below 30%. It was at 90% so I charged it to 100% and I got past that, then came error 155. My phone refused to go into boot menu with the software? I gave up. I ended up flashing some GB rom and then proceeded with 1.50 firmware (base, hboot, radios, and firmware.) I'm not crazy about heavily modified roms, going to search around for a stock GB rom that isn't RUU.

No No, goto your tutorial and and download JB 1.58.5858 and then check the md5 with the one listed for it. You'll see that the JB 1.58.5858 is actually the 1.58 md5. Something got crossed there........

Thanks again

Upvote 0
I tried the RUU, first it said my battery was below 30%. It was at 90% so I charged it to 100% and I got past that, then came error 155. My phone refused to go into boot menu with the software? I gave up. I ended up flashing some GB rom and then proceeded with 1.50 firmware (base, hboot, radios, and firmware.) I'm not crazy about heavily modified roms, going to search around for a stock GB rom that isn't RUU.

No No, goto your tutorial and and download JB 1.58.5858 and then check the md5 with the one listed for it. You'll see that the JB 1.58.5858 is actually the 1.58 md5. Something got crossed there........

Thanks again

Thanks. When I have some time, I'll have to go through them and double check them all.

Here's the stock rom: Dev-Host - Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Upvote 0
.exe files are notoriously finicky. error 155 is typically solved by starting the utility with the phone in fastboot or ruu mode,instead of the booted OS.

if you still have trouble,extract "rom.zip" from the utility in this manner:
the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card

you can flash rom.zip in the following manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

alternately,you can f;ash rom.zip in hboot by renaming it to "PG86IMG" and placing it on a FAT32 sd car. when you power on into hboot,it should find the file and ask you to update.

hope that helps :)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones