• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Tried to root my HTC Evo 3d

Hi I looked around and tried a few different things suggested, but I cant get it to work. I'll tell the story. I tried to root my phone, obviously, and got all the way to the end and (following a tutorial) went to put MeanRom on. Everything went as the tutorial said it would so I thought I did it right. Wrong. Now I have the spinning blue android that is in a continuous loop (I read somewhere it is eating a big bowl of boot loops). I tried the volume down/power button thing and chose recovery and it goes to a red triangle with exclamation point. I tried factory reset from that screen. Continuous boot loop. I found something that says when I get the red triangle to push power/volume up and I got into a screen with blue print. I was excited. I wiped cache, factory reset and reboot. Back to blue android. I seriously need some help :thinking: Im obviously a bonehead so step-by-step would be appreciated since I am not sure what "flashing a ROM' etc.. mean... I know, I know, if that's the case, what am I doing trying ro root my phone in the first place? I have an Associates in computer programming and figured how hard could it be? Obviously, I knew just enough to be dangerous.... I have attached a few things to look at. Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

• boot thing.jpg
    boot thing.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 164
  • fastboot.jpg
    fastboot.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 159
  • recovery does this first.jpg
    recovery does this first.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 178
  • then this.jpg
    then this.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 166
  • spinner.jpg
    spinner.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 145
I royally messed up my phone and I have found several links for RUU's but cannot find my version. It wont accept the 2.89 version. Says fail. What are my options? I am stuck in blue spinning mode. In fastboot cannot do recovery or cannot do recovery from the other menu (power/volume up) unfortunately, I did not write the other info about my phone. Its Sprint CDMA though. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Upvote 0
I am assuming the phone is still s-on? Once you are up and running you will want to install 4ext recovery and enable smart flash. Without that you will get bootloops when trying to flash a rom and have to flash the boot.img seperately.

You don't have custom recovery installed

You need to volume down + power to access the bootloader and choose fastboot. Connect to the pc with a usb cable.

Place this recovery.img in your adb/fastboot directory.

use these fastboot commands:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then use

fastboot boot recovery.img

Once booted into recover, wipe all partitions except sd card and then try flashing the rom again. It should boot.

Hi I looked around and tried a few different things suggested, but I cant get it to work. I'll tell the story. I tried to root my phone, obviously, and got all the way to the end and (following a tutorial) went to put MeanRom on. Everything went as the tutorial said it would so I thought I did it right. Wrong. Now I have the spinning blue android that is in a continuous loop (I read somewhere it is eating a big bowl of boot loops). I tried the volume down/power button thing and chose recovery and it goes to a red triangle with exclamation point. I tried factory reset from that screen. Continuous boot loop. I found something that says when I get the red triangle to push power/volume up and I got into a screen with blue print. I was excited. I wiped cache, factory reset and reboot. Back to blue android. I seriously need some help :thinking: Im obviously a bonehead so step-by-step would be appreciated since I am not sure what "flashing a ROM' etc.. mean... I know, I know, if that's the case, what am I doing trying ro root my phone in the first place? I have an Associates in computer programming and figured how hard could it be? Obviously, I knew just enough to be dangerous.... I have attached a few things to look at. Thanks in advance :D

Reactions: scotty85 and DonB
Upvote 0
I merged this post into this thread.

If you want to ruu, install the custom recovery per the instructions above, but then instead of flashing a rom, flash this file instead.

That will lower your main version and allow you to run the RUU.

I royally messed up my phone and I have found several links for RUU's but cannot find my version. It wont accept the 2.89 version. Says fail. What are my options? I am stuck in blue spinning mode. In fastboot cannot do recovery or cannot do recovery from the other menu (power/volume up) unfortunately, I did not write the other info about my phone. Its Sprint CDMA though. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Reactions: scotty85 and DonB
Upvote 0
I thought you had used fastboot before since you were trying to install a rom. How were you attempting to install the rom? If it was through a custom recovery, how did you install the recovery?

There's a great and thorough guide for our device HERE that explains the whole process in more detail. I would highly suggest reading through it.

Step 1:
Get our forums mini sdk HERE. Follow the instructions in that post and extract the zip file to C:\sdk-tools

Within the sdk-tools folder you should see adb.exe, fastboot.exe, etc... That sdk-tools folder containing those items is what I had referred to as your adb/fastboot folder.

Step 2:

Download this recovery.img and place it in that folder.

Step 3:

Pull battery on phone and re-insert. Hold volume down and tap power. Continue holding volume down til you see the bootloader screen.

From there select "fastboot".

The phone should display FASTBOOT in red letters. Connect the phone to the pc. the phone should now say FASTBOOT USB.

Step 4:

Hold the shift key on your keyboard and right click the sdk-tools folder. Select "open command window here"

You should now see a command prompt that reads C:\sdk-tools>

Step 5:

Type: fastboot devices

command prompt should return your device serial number. If it doesn't, the drivers might not be properly installed.

Type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Should only take a second or two and command prompt should return a message when it's finished.

Type: fastboot boot recovery.img

The phone should boot into 4ext Recovery.

Step 6:

Once in recovery tap on the "wipe" menu. From there select "format all partitions (except sd card).

Step 7:
I assume you still have the rom on your phone's sd card? If not, you will need to use a card reader or spare device to get the rom.zip onto the sd card.

Tap on the "install" or "install zip" menu. Browse to the location of the rom and select it. Continue through the prompts. Once the rom is done installing, the phone should reboot. The first boot can take several minutes, but shouldn't take more than 5 or so. If it doesn't boot after 10-15 minutes, then power off the phone with a battery pull, and don't do anything else. Just post here and we can try other steps.

Upvote 0
I will try this. Thank you. No I have never had the courage to mess with my phone. I had the brilliant idea that I could root my phone to utilize the wifi hot spot for my Kindle Fire and I followed a tutorial on YouTube. Which was before I found this forum. Everything went fine until the end where it had me install that MeanRom and reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones