• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Ubuntu Linux on the 3vo

Well I did some further tinkering.

I think the people with keyboard issues on this solution are trying to use the default desktop for this distribution and I highly recommend against it. Besides the keyboard problem, it won't launch Firefox - I'm guessing that's a memory issue.

I like LXDE, it reminds me of the early KDE desktop from around 2000.

I am having trouble launching other X tools besides xterm. When you get this on your Evo, we can compare notes.
Yeah, Firefox is one of the biggest memory hogs.. and still has memory leak bugs. Have you tried Chrome Browser? LOL, all of this just to run a small, fast, google-branded browser.

Both lxterminal and gimp work, but I can only run one thing per vncserver session. Probably with limited memory, I don't care.

Anyway - GIMP. On a phone. Yep.
*drooling.. swaying in the breeze..*

I played around with window managers to fix the one-tool problem, ended up going back to icewm. Must be my phone/androidVNC/memory because I can access multiple tools from my laptop vnc client.

I couldn't think of a quick way to access my /sdcard from within the virtual machine, so I simply installed SwiFTP, free in the Market, for my ftp server and used Firefox on the Ubuntu side as my ftp client. I downloaded a random picture from /sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA and opened it with GIMP with Firefox still running.

Picture or it didn't happen:

View attachment 20800
I may have to blasklist this thread.. makes me drool.. makes my heart race.. :eek::p:D

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
It gets worse - thanks to danaff37 at XDA, my ~/.vnc/xstartx looks like this now:

Code:
#!/bin/sh  

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources 
xsetroot -solid grey 

#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" & 
#x-window-manager & 
#/etc/X11/Xsession  

icewm & 
startlxde &
That startlxde defines lots of important environment variables.

I now have multiple clients running under androidVNC.

:D :)

Upvote 0
Reactions: ardchoille
Upvote 0
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobisters.android.remote.client

I'll just have to give that a go, and let you know. :)

PS - that mini keyboard you linked to is _COOL_!
Wowsers, that app looks to be quite handy! Added to my to do list.

Yeah, I use a different BT keyboard with my Evo 4G. Flip out the kickstand, landscape mode, pair the kb and I'm off.. and I don't have to put up with the on-screen keyboard taking up the whole screen (my biggest pet peave).

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well, I have only had a pc for less than two years. I am barely capable of running windows. I don't really understand the hows or whats of making this happen, but it seems like ubuntu on a phone could be supremely useful. A true computer in your pocket.

Exactly!

When I first heard about this idea, it took great people doing great things to make it happen, and was reserved for the few.

Now, it's getting pretty close to being at the cookbook level - I can foresee the day where all of the hoops I've jumped through (and they weren't many, I just had find which ones) can be reduced to a one-click installation.

And the Linux tools go from complicated to simple, and are quickly adopted using what you know from your PC.

So, will this stay niche or go mainstream?

Only time will tell! :) ;)

Upvote 0
I have no clue what that is.

Ok, well it was probably kinda hard to follow the way I detailed it in my earlier my posts here, (the one with the screen shots) and I'm guessing you're going strictly by XDA, so I decided to post all of the instructions over there.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Guide] How to install Ubuntu Linux on your phone

Probably that will help many people.

PS - Added wallpaper.

wallpapered-lxde.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones