• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Change image files inside of .apk

peteh98

Jun 8, 2013
I extract an apk & navigate to the res folder and get the image I need. Then I change it how I want, name it how it was, and repack the .apk. Upon trying to install I get Application not installed. I used ZipSigner and it let me install, however my app force closed when I tried to open it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Extra, possibly irrelevant information 😅
HTC Evo V 4G on Mobster HD Lite
The app I'm trying to edit is Handcent SMS

When I tried doing this I used 7zip to open the .apk file and then when I was done editing, I just stored it with an .apk extension. However that was on a different device and sometimes I still had problems because the .png files I was using were way bigger than the ones I was replacing.

Also, I always had better luck applying these type of changes to an .apk by flashing it while in recovery using a modified 'update.zip' file.

I have an 'update.zip' template file if you think it would help.

good luck

Upvote 0
I tried to install it as a system file before I edited it lol, also led to instant force closing. And about the file size thing yeah that sounds possible. How would I lower the size? And about the update.zip, I don't known anything about that. I'm willing to try if you thoroughly explain to me what to do lmao

Upvote 0
Yes Handcent should not be installed as a system app. It would belong in /data/app. Are you uninstalling Handcent before trying to install your modified version?

Also as to the file size of the images there was a program that somebody used to help me out once. Something about .png, I just went to the CyanogenMod forums but can't find it now, sorry about that.

As far as the update.zip method, I have a template where you would open (not extract) it with 7zip, place your app in /data/app, close it, and put it on your phone and flash it like any other ROM. But you should make a nandroid backup first.

let me know if you want to try the last option and I will link my file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones