• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help changed phones but old phone still get text

jimmybower

Lurker
Oct 28, 2016
hello, I just switched from a boost windows phone to zte prestige....and I still seem to get text from the old windows phone...earlier today I received a text on the old phone but it didn't go through my new phone....why is this happening? can anyone help me with this problem?

Texts go to the phone number. Did you transfer your phone number to the new phone, like did you put the SIM from the Windows device in your new Android phone? Or can transfer your phone number to a new SIM that came with the Android. Your carrier would have to do that. Or you can inform everyone of a change of number maybe, so they won't send to the old number.

Upvote 0
hello, I just switched from a boost windows phone to zte prestige....and I still seem to get text from the old windows phone...earlier today I received a text on the old phone but it didn't go through my new phone....why is this happening? can anyone help me with this problem?

just about the only way that could happen is for the old phone to still have the SIM in it, and still in service. And this condition automatically prevents any other phone from getting service ( ie, making/taking SMS text messages )

IMO, you have not notified the carrier of the change to the new phone.
I guarantee that once you do that, the old phone will be "dead in the water" to take/make SMS or calls.

Upvote 0
just about the only way that could happen is for the old phone to still have the SIM in it, and still in service. And this condition automatically prevents any other phone from getting service ( ie, making/taking SMS text messages )

IMO, you have not notified the carrier of the change to the new phone.
I guarantee that once you do that, the old phone will be "dead in the water" to take/make SMS or calls.
its the same carrier boost mobile....I can get text on the new phone which is the android but sometimes it wont come through and only come through on the old phone which is windows....my sim is still in the windows phone...Im using the sim that came with the android phone....I changed the phone settings on boost mobile website....which is the swap phone option....which I swapped windows phone to the android phone....would just taking out my sim card in the windows phone solve this? I didn't want to take it out since I was still receiving text from the old phone as sometimes as i mentioned it wouldn't come through the new phone....

Upvote 0
Texts go to the phone number. Did you transfer your phone number to the new phone, like did you put the SIM from the Windows device in your new Android phone? Or can transfer your phone number to a new SIM that came with the Android. Your carrier would have to do that. Or you can inform everyone of a change of number maybe, so they won't send to the old number.
I didn't have to change the sim card...as i didnt think i would have to do that since im using the same carrier....but I dont know anything about cell phones....I just had to go to the boost mobile site and go to the swap phone settings....but im still having this problem

Upvote 0
Can you confirm that the network(Boost Mobile) actually transferred the phone number to the SIM that's in the Android device from the Windows phone one. What happens if people ring it, are phone calls coming through to the Android device, or is it just texts not coming through.

It does sound like a carrier problem, and you need to resolve it with Boost Mobile, no one else can. The carriers handle number transfers to different SIMs.

Upvote 0
I didn't have to change the sim card...as i didnt think i would have to do that since im using the same carrier....but I dont know anything about cell phones....I just had to go to the boost mobile site and go to the swap phone settings....but im still having this problem

Okay, the old SIM card is still in the Windows phone, and it seems it is still getting info from the carrier.

to me, you did not make it clear to the store that they need to cancel the service on the Windows Phone.
if you pull the SIM card out of the Windows phone, it will be dead in the water, and your problems will be resolved.+

Reactions: Guggy
Upvote 0
I am having the same issue... but with T-Mobile phone. We just replaced my husband's phone yesterday. I have disconnected his phone from the home wifi, physically taken out the sim card (which is laying on my desk), and if his phone is turned on, it will still get text messages. How? I have no clue. As long as the old phone is turned off, he can get messages on his new phone. Now, stranger still, the only person having issues sending messages to him is ME. He can get texts from anyone else with no problems, but my texts not so much. After an extended time, in order to get messages from me, he has to instigate the conversation and then my messages will come through. I spent over an hour at the t-mobile store this morning trying to get it fixed. The original issue was my corrupted contact file that transferred over when they set up his phone. so I deleted the contact and he could get messages from me... if the old phone was not in the area. Any suggestions on this one?

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue... but with T-Mobile phone. We just replaced my husband's phone yesterday. I have disconnected his phone from the home wifi, physically taken out the sim card (which is laying on my desk), and if his phone is turned on, it will still get text messages. How? I have no clue. As long as the old phone is turned off, he can get messages on his new phone. Now, stranger still, the only person having issues sending messages to him is ME. He can get texts from anyone else with no problems, but my texts not so much. After an extended time, in order to get messages from me, he has to instigate the conversation and then my messages will come through. I spent over an hour at the t-mobile store this morning trying to get it fixed. The original issue was my corrupted contact file that transferred over when they set up his phone. so I deleted the contact and he could get messages from me... if the old phone was not in the area. Any suggestions on this one?
Hi Ashna1,
You might have noticed that me previous post has been deleted! That post would have helped much more than the other replys like " restart the 'phone" or "remove the SIM."

I have not been told why my previous post has been removed/deleted, can a moderator please tell me so I don't make the same mistake again?

I hope my previous post will be reinstated or that I'm allowed to post with a meaningful answer.

I hope to be allowed to help you soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones