• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charge through USB

A computer's USB port only puts out 500mA compared to 750mA for the stock charger and 1000mA for most other USB chargers, so it will seem a little slow.

That is if the operating system identifies the device. I'm not sure about other OS's but in Windows if the device is unknown then the USB port only outputs 100mA, not the 500mA.

Upvote 0
When I am charging my phone through USB, it seems to disable the SD card, is there a way around this to where I can get a charge and still access the SD card?

When connected through USB, you should find a "USB connection" option under the notifications menu. If you tap on the option you should see several choices on how the connection is established:

- PC Mode
- Windows Media Sync
- USB Mass Storage
- Charge Only

Of the four, I "PC Mode" and "Charge Only" will let you access your SD card from the phone while connected. USB Mass Storage and Windows Media Sync do not. PC Mode is the option I use most often because I can transfer files back and forth and still access my SD card from the phone itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones