• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

samsung a51 usb issue

corvairbob

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2013
i have the a51 and it stopped connecting to the pc thru the usb connector. i tried 4 cables and 4 pc and it will not connect. so i got a new usb board for the sm-s515dl phone. anyway it is still doing this so it must be the motherboard. i did the samsung drivers 3 times and no change i did win10 updated and drivers and no change, so the phone is all but dead. it charges so for not it is usable and the photos i can get from google but not he way i prefer to get them. anyway what may be a good or better phone i can ebay? i do not want to break the bank but at least have 128gb storage and similar ratings as the a51 or maybe even better. i can do a vs to check them out. thanks

Reactions: manole2023
i have the a51 and it stopped connecting to the pc thru the usb connector. i tried 4 cables and 4 pc and it will not connect. so i got a new usb board for the sm-s515dl phone. anyway it is still doing this so it must be the motherboard. i did the samsung drivers 3 times and no change i did win10 updated and drivers and no change, so the phone is all but dead. it charges so for not it is usable and the photos i can get from google but not he way i prefer to get them. anyway what may be a good or better phone i can ebay? i do not want to break the bank but at least have 128gb storage and similar ratings as the a51 or maybe even better. i can do a vs to check them out. thanks
be careful buying used phones on ebay. see if you can verify the imei is good and is not blacklisted with a carrier, before you make the purchase.

Upvote 0
thanks say can anyone tell me how can i find out if the samsung galaxy a51 sm-s515dl is a 5g phone? i'm having issues with it connecting to the pc. in fact device manager will not see it when it is plugged in and i actually loses charge when plugged it. i change out the usb board with one on ebay listed as for the sm-s515dl phone and it did not help. so i will either ebay a good working phone that may be busted up on the outside and just change out the guts and put them in my phone but i have to find out if this model is 5g or not as that may make a difference.

when i put that board in i tried it both ways it came with a plastic tab on the back side the stuck out over the fingerprint sensor it made no difference but when it is installed 1 screw will not go back.

anyway i looked in about phone and i do not see any place for 5g it was a tracfone when i got it and on tracfone service then i ran it that way for the required 3 or 6 months and then it sent me a message telling me i can unlock it so i did and out it on metro. if i get another one i do not want to get a 5g and find out it will not mate to my case or the usb board i have either one. if it makes no difference then i will look for a metro phone 4 or 5g and get one for the guts.

ok this is what i found on the web so it looks like it is not 5g but i see listing on ebay for 5g so they may be errors. but can anyone tell me will any motherboard that is the a51 fit in any a51 frame? if so then it will not matter what the listing says i can get oen and change out my motherboard because i believe my motherboard is the issue and not the usb board. being it discharges when it is plugged into any pc. but shows it is charging and charging real slow. thanks

NETWORK​

• Supported Network
    2G, 3G, 4G / LTE

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes the phone i have is 4g version. do you think the 5g motherboard will fit in the 4g frame? because i may find a 5g phone from metro i do not think tracfone had them yet. my phone is failing so far it will not connect to the usb on any pc with any cord. and it discharges when plugged into the pc even though it show it is charging. thanks

Upvote 0
ok thanks i do not need to get one and have it not fit. i have no clue why all of a sudden it stopped connecting to any pc. i did a reset hoping that would help and did a backup to the samsung cloud and they did not give me any warning that i had to make sure i had the correct phone number so they could send the 2 factor so i finally got that changed and now i have to wait 1 more week to see if samsung send me an email telling me i can now do a restore on my phone.

but anyway that failed to reset that connection issue. so if i can ebay a working phone that has a bad case or cracked glass/screen i will gut it and swap out those guts and put them in my good case. i had to do that with a nokia x100 because you can't just rest them if you forgot your pin they just will not do it.

anyway now i can look for a 4g and swap out the guts thanks

Upvote 0
how can i tell what carrier the phone is?
Some phones will have the carriers logo printed on the back, if the seller includes a picture of the back you might be able to tell. They might include a picture of the start up screen, or a picture of the box it came in, or they might mention it in the ad.

If not you can always ask them what carrier it's from.

Upvote 0
i did just find that imei checker, that is what i was looking for. and most sellers have not clue about gutting them out and swapping. so if i stick to the tracfone the same model it will work. most on ebay have poor cases and screen but if i can get my account on one and it functions i can take it apart and gut it and put those guts in my perfect case and screen thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones