1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Charging port issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bamagrl92, Jan 26, 2014.

1. bamagrl92

bamagrl92 Lurker
    None

Jan 26, 2014
    So I have had a problem charging my galaxy 3 for a few months now, it takes about 5-6 hours (if not in use) to get past 20-30% If i am using the phone it doesnt charge and will go down. I have tried 5 different chargers and none seem to help. I took it to cspire and they told me my charging port in my phone was loose and that its not covered under the warranty as it is a user problem??? i could possibly get it fixed somewhere else. Wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this and what they have done? i have thought about buying extra batteries and the charging port for the batteries, has anyone bought backup batteries for the galaxy 3?

Advertisement

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    My last phone the charging port went bad so I know the frustration it causes. One of the reasons I went with the s3 is it's wireless charging capability. You have to buy a QI receiver and place it on the battery along with a QI charging pad. It takes a bit longer to charge (around 4 hours) but I really like it.

Your other option is to buy an external charger so you can charge the batteries while not in the phone. I have one made by Oneite and it works great.

3. bamagrl92

bamagrl92 Lurker
    None

Jan 26, 2014
    I can get it fixed for $50 but my battery dies so fast thinking about getting an extra one anyways.Heard s3 has had alot of problems with chargign ports

4. Netcat

Netcat Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    San Jose, California
    When I first got my GS3, it would take 6 hours or more just to charge to 50%. Then I switched the USB cable to my old GS2 charger's cable and it charged MUCH faster.

I found out that when I was using the new charger with the new USB cable that came with my GS3, it would go into USB charging, even though it was not plugged into a USB port. USB charging is slower than AC charging. And I also found out that it was the USB cable, not the charger that was the problem. When I took the new charger and replaced the USB cable with the cable from my GS2, the phone started charging in AC mode. Switch the cable and back to USB mode.

So try another USB cable and look at "Battery" in settings to see if the phone is AC charging or USB charging. If it says USB charging, then it WILL charge slowly.

5. guy48065

guy48065 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    The $50 port replacement sounds like a bargain to me. I just replaced mine today and although the port only cost about $5 delivered, the soldering was the most challenging I've ever done and required a microscope.