• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging through Computer USB!!!!

Will require a kernel that supports that.

Will require root as well... All of which is free. Cheaper than buying a cable...

I know, I know, not everyone is willing to root and mess with ROMs. I know I wasn't - until I did it. Now my Tab works like it was meant to, charges via USB, handles any HDD I have, touchscreen is near perfect for writing on, overclocked CPU... I think I've forgotten a few benefits... lets see... no bloat, ability to use apps not available on Samsung... um...

Alles ausgezeichnet...

Upvote 0
Will require root as well... All of which is free. Cheaper than buying a cable...

I know, I know, not everyone is willing to root and mess with ROMs. I know I wasn't - until I did it. Now my Tab works like it was meant to, charges via USB, handles any HDD I have, touchscreen is near perfect for writing on, overclocked CPU... I think I've forgotten a few benefits... lets see... no bloat, ability to use apps not available on Samsung... um...

Alles ausgezeichnet...

Remember, that the kernel supporting USB charging is not available for all Tabs.

Upvote 0
Remember, that the kernel supporting USB charging is not available for all Tabs.

Probably right, but these are supported by the developer(s) of the kernel I'm using:

10.1-Wifi, Touchwiz UX (OTA, GT-P7510)
10.1 3G, Touchwiz UX (HC 3.2 (stock); GT-P7500)
10.1 LTE (SCH-I905)
10.1 TMO (SCH-T859)
10.1v (GT-P7100)

Seems a pretty comprehensive list.

Upvote 0
is the listed samsung cable different than the one that came with the 10.1 tab ??
will that cable charge from a usb adapter with the screen on? the stock cable will with it off, and a red x with it on. i assume the red x means no charge at all, does it slow down the discharge at all, or just doesn't do shit??

thanks much for the time and links

Upvote 0
Had to register for this :D

May the problem be in the port that the usb charger/adapter has?

The most right and left pins/slots in the port are for Voltage, and the two in the middle are for data.

Some chargers / adapters do not use the center pins at all(not connected to anything), so the phone/pad wont charge(at least if its on).

I had to solder a jumper cable the two center pins of my "12v cigarette lighter to usb" car-adapter to get my nokia n900 charging. Friends iphone had the same "problem". After some googling it seems that samsung galaxy s 2 also needs them to be shorted.

I did not even need a screw driver for the hack, the adapter popped open easily, and just snapped back after the soldering.

Easy and a cheap fix :)

EDIT:
Found more info about the issue. Situation explained there, just about half way of the text.

http://www.crystalbard.co.uk/gogreen/a_guide_to_usb_chargers.htm

Even if this one thread here is about charging a galaxy rapidly, it explains the same fix:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1384253

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones