• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charter Email Connection Problems

I'm using these settings on my Droid3 but they're causing my Outlook to freeze. What settings are you using on Outlook? Mine are pop.charter.net, port 110, and smtp.charter.net, port 25, no encryption or authentication. The only way I can get our Outlook accounts to unlock is to completely turn off the phone, so if I leave home with the phone my husband can't get email on the computers or send me an email. This is nuts.

I've just discovered that both Droid and computer will work on these settings:
Droid3 - incoming: pop.charter.net, port 110, uncheck "use secure connection" - outgoing: mobile.charter.net, port 587, uncheck "use secure connection."
Computer - incoming: pop.charter.net, port 110, no encryption; outgoing - smtp.charter.net, port 25.

Does anyone know if unchecking "use secure connection" on the phone will cause any problems? Hope not because at least everything is working now for the first time in a week.

I unchecked the "use secure connection" box and it works fine. Does anybody know what unchecking that box does?

Upvote 0
I have just spent a couple of hours with Charter Tech Support tracing a problem with their email POP settings. Many people had been using mail.charterinternet.com and smtp.charterinternet.com as a POP account in their settings. This server was decommissioned on Wednesday, 10/26/2011. These settings no longer work.

Charter advises on their website that you set the email up as an IMAP account and use mobile.charter.net. These settings work for me EXCEPT there is no option to leave the email on the server. If you check your email on your phone with these settings, the email will be deleted from the server.

Charter is aware of this issue, and are planning to make changes to allow people to connect via POP to Charter to get their email. I will post a response here as soon as they call me back with the settings.
I had same problem. Here is the fix:
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To setup Charter.net as a POP3 account on your android device:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]From the applications menu, touch Email app[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter your full Charter email address including domain name; Enter your Charter.net password

If you have previously created an account, press Menu, touch Accounts, press Menu, and touch Add Account [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Check Send email from this account by default, in order to use this account to send outgoing mail. (If you do not check this option, a previous email account such as gmail may be used to send outgoing mail) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Manual setup [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch POP3 account [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter your username (use complete email address including the @charter.net) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter your password [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter POP3 server - pop.charterinternet.net [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter Port - 110 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Change Security type to - None [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Next [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter SMTP server - smtp.charterinternet.net[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter Port - 25 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Change Security type to - None [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Next [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Customize email frequency [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Next [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter a name for the account (optional) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]19. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter your name. This is the name will display on outgoing messages. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Done[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This worked for me as well but as soon as i got it to work on my phone i couldnt access it from my computer via outlook. did the internet chat with charter (which is a complete joke by the way) and all they could tell me is port numbers and to contact microsoft. could changing it to imap on my phone cause it to not work on outlook?
Much the same results. Figure it is pretty much a waste to time to contact the nimrods at charter, so I tried to reconfigure Outlook for IMAP. Couldn't reconfigure the existing account setup, so I created a new account with IMAP on Outlook 2010 and now they both connect.

Given charters clueless management, I suspect I will have to revisit this again :mad:

Upvote 0
I had same problem. Here is the fix:
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To setup Charter.net as a POP3 account on your android device:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]From the applications menu, touch Email app[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter your full Charter email address including domain name; Enter your Charter.net password

If you have previously created an account, press Menu, touch Accounts, press Menu, and touch Add Account [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Check Send email from this account by default, in order to use this account to send outgoing mail. (If you do not check this option, a previous email account such as gmail may be used to send outgoing mail) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Manual setup [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch POP3 account [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter your username (use complete email address including the @charter.net) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter your password [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter POP3 server - pop.charterinternet.net [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter Port - 110 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Change Security type to - None [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Next [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter SMTP server - smtp.charterinternet.net[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter Port - 25 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Change Security type to - None [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Next [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Customize email frequency [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Next [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter a name for the account (optional) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]19. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Enter your name. This is the name will display on outgoing messages. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Touch Done[/FONT]

my setup wont work unless the income port is 143...not 110 :/ also, my email program on my laptop wont connect as long as k9 is running. i have to manually stop k9 in order for my laptop to connect. weird

edit: found out i was using imap instead of pop3. doesnt really matter though, as port 143 works on k9 but doesnt allow my laptop to connect.

edit2: DOH...fixed it. laptop email settings didnt have the username setup correctly :/ the above settings for the droid work :)

Reactions: dmbfan
Upvote 0
HALLELUJAH! RESOLVED!!!

I should have checked back here sooner, but I FINALLY got someone at Charter who found out what needs to be done.

The account needs to be set up as a POP account NOT IMAP, which is what every Charter rep will tell you (except my new hero Stephanie).

Here are the settings that work on HTC Thunderbolt and HTC Incredible:

POP Account type

Incoming: pop.charter.net
No Security
Port:110

SMTP (Outgoing)
mobile.charter.net
SSL
Port: 587

You then have to go to settings, send and receive and clear the Delete Mail on Server box and you are good to go! Works just like the old days!

WOo HOo!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well i thought just for giggles i would try these settings....no luck...i keep getting the error message username or password incorrect....which they are not because i can log into charter.net on my desktop with my username and password just fine...i tried all the different combinations for user name, port, ect ect....phone is a nexus s....anyone with this phone get it to work yet?

Update: the pop3 settings work on my outlook xp but not my phone....frustrating

Upvote 0
Just got my T-Mobile My Touch black and had the same trouble listed through-out this thread. T-Mobile and Charter were of no help, they just blamed each other. Even went by the T-Mobile store where the "clerk" said sure I can do that. 30 minutes still no e-mail. I used the settings posted by dmbfan and it worked. All I can say is, it's very frustrating and tech support is non-existent.

Upvote 0
Ahhh back again...for whatever reason a year ago after my last post everything started working...great...now 2 days ago sending mail on my phone stopped working...but i could send from my desktop...now today i cant send email from my desktop/outlook...didnt change a thing and ol charter Clark is about as much help as he was a year ago...anyone else having problems again? I guess this is gonna be a yearly thing...

Upvote 0
Ahhh back again...for whatever reason a year ago after my last post everything started working...great...now 2 days ago sending mail on my phone stopped working...but i could send from my desktop...now today i cant send email from my desktop/outlook...didnt change a thing and ol charter Clark is about as much help as he was a year ago...anyone else having problems again? I guess this is gonna be a yearly thing...

Today I can't send or receive e mail from my phone but my pc works fine. Isn't it nice when you don't change anything and something stops working. Thanks Charter

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem, my android phone with charter email was working fine for quite a while and now I cannot send or receive email. I also talked to a charter rep and got the same run around. Nothing worked. I did have mine set on the imap and stmp and it was working. Now it does not, I have tried various things and nothing has worked. I also have a Samsung tablet, and the charter email works fine on that, so I tried those settings on my phone (which were different) they did not work on the phone. This is very frustrating. I will go to Verizon and see if they can help, but when I first bought my phone they had problems setting it up too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones