• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choice: Friend's Verizon S4 or new Metro F60?

TJayDroid

Dec 7, 2012
Have only had MetroPCS branded phones in the past, so not sure of my footing here.

Friend has a Verizon Galaxy S4 just sitting around since he moved back to the iUniverse. Will sell it to me for $75 (mint condition). Not sure if I should buy it and bring it over to Metro or get a new F60. Currently have an L70 but would really appreciate the extra app space. Three questions:

1. Which is the better buy? The (used) Verizon Galaxy S4 (16GB) or a new F60?
  2. If the S4, do I just need to purchase one of MetroPCS' $10 sim cards from their site to do it?
  3. If the S4, should I root it first? (have rooted tablets before, never phones... is rooting this particular unit risky?)

Thanks for any opinions/info.

As long as the phone is compatible $75 for mint condition S4 is a really nice deal.

Also S4 will have much more developer / contributes support on ROMs, Themes, Kernels and Mods.. you will have fun time playing with it.

Again, you need to make sure it's compatible with Metro PCS network. Even though Verizon is CDMA, S4 may work on both GSM and CDMA.. this compatibility thing always confuses me...

Reactions: TJayDroid
Upvote 0
Necro-ing my own thread.... RE: the Verizon Galaxy S4... Assuming it is compatible with MetroPCS' network, should I root it before going to an authorized dealer, or will there be no problem rooting it once it's all connected on Metro's network?

Getting root access should have no impact on your phone's activation to Metro's network. So, feel free to root at your convenience.

Reactions: TJayDroid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones