• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choosing between S20 and S20+

Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
US
To date, I have always purchased the plus versions – i7 plus, S8 plus and S-10 plus. Here are my biased reasons for opting for the S 20 over the S 20+, beyond the cost factor.
1. Smaller form factor. The phone sizes are getting too big for my pockets.
2. Minimal difference in camera capabilities and picture quality. If I was really hung up on picture quality I would go for the ultra.
3. Not concerned about the 5G constraints since I believe 5G is presently a joke that has yet to be established and has to many constraints including lack of network, range from cell tower etc. etc.
4. Don't believe that the higher refresh rate, which is incidentally only available in the lower resolutions, adds any value to me since I'm not a gamer.
Interested in your thoughts.

If I didn't care about the camera, I'd also stick with the S20 this time around for the one-handability. But I'm a sucker for camera features and photo quality and simply can't resist getting the Ultra- it's gonna be way too fun. Super excited for it. Unfortunately it has the highest un-one-handability rating of all!

Camera over everything this time around! But I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3...

Reactions: Snakeyeskm
Upvote 0
To date, I have always purchased the plus versions – i7 plus, S8 plus and S-10 plus. Here are my biased reasons for opting for the S 20 over the S 20+, beyond the cost factor.
1. Smaller form factor. The phone sizes are getting too big for my pockets.
2. Minimal difference in camera capabilities and picture quality. If I was really hung up on picture quality I would go for the ultra.
3. Not concerned about the 5G constraints since I believe 5G is presently a joke that has yet to be established and has to many constraints including lack of network, range from cell tower etc. etc.
4. Don't believe that the higher refresh rate, which is incidentally only available in the lower resolutions, adds any value to me since I'm not a gamer.
Interested in your thoughts.

So couple things:
1. Agreed here. The s20 is same size as Pixel XL if I'm not mistaken. SO very valid points.
2. Only difference in camera between s20 and plus is the depth sensor, which will help some, but it seems minimal.
3. True, and Samsungs was of 'future proofing' which is really just marketing at this point. 5G is NOT a reason to get any of these.
4. Higher refresh rate (at 1080res) is available on ALL devices, so you're good no matter what!

So battery sizes are 500 different (4000, 4500, and 5000) but with screen sizes going up I guess battery life would be comparable.

Reactions: Snakeyeskm
Upvote 0
I'm with Rob on this one. If I were parting with the bucks for a S20 I'd have to have the Ultra. That camera is crazy! I remember years ago when I upgraded My HTC Incredible to a Rezound and was worried about the size. Size is something that I easily adapt to. Every phone since has been larger than its replacement. The Note 10+ I'm now using is a fist full but I love it. Bring me all of that beautiful screen real estate, I'll figure it out.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I'm with Rob on this one. If I were parting with the bucks for a S20 I'd have to have the Ultra. That camera is crazy! I remember years ago when I upgraded My HTC Incredible to a Rezound and was worried about the size. Size is something that I easily adapt to. Every phone since has been larger than its replacement. The Note 10+ I'm now using is a fist full but I love it. Bring me all of that beautiful screen real estate, I'll figure it out.

Amen brother. Camera options alone have me salivating

Upvote 0
Too excited to do an un-boxing video. But the phone is absolutely awesome. Comparing it side-by-side to the galaxy S 10+ which I still have, you can see the differences in the screen, the rapid response to finger touch, practically everything is better.
Presently busy updating all my apps and will then play with it.
I just love the small form factor. It can fit into a shirt top pocket and practically disappears in my jeans pocket. I figure the weaknesses of the screen "so-called liquid glass" are more than mitigated by the fact that it is folded in my pocket and when not in use.
The fold is a nonevent. Can barely notice it.
I got the last one available at the local AT&T store and according to them backorders for this phone are at record levels.

Looking forward to seeing some great content over in the Z Flip section from you! :)

Upvote 0
Too excited to do an un-boxing video. But the phone is absolutely awesome. Comparing it side-by-side to the galaxy S 10+ which I still have, you can see the differences in the screen, the rapid response to finger touch, practically everything is better.
Presently busy updating all my apps and will then play with it.
I just love the small form factor. It can fit into a shirt top pocket and practically disappears in my jeans pocket. I figure the weaknesses of the screen "so-called liquid glass" are more than mitigated by the fact that it is folded in my pocket and when not in use.
The fold is a nonevent. Can barely notice it.
I got the last one available at the local AT&T store and according to them backorders for this phone are at record levels.

Man I get the excitement. You have GOT to show it off. We all want to see and hear about it.... every last detail. You can't brag it up too much to make me happy! Congrats.. big time!!!!

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones