• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CISSP, CISM, or CRISC?

Eugene

Android Expert
Dec 6, 2009
Which should I do?
I've worked in IT since 1995, spent the last 8 years in an enterprise IT shop supporting windows servers and started to realize a couple years ago I'm too old for all night patch-a-thons. I started going through Shon Harris' CISSP book first edition at my previous job then started the third edition before having kids so I picked up the 5th edition a couple years ago but then got a bad manager ay the end of 2010 and never got to finish again.
So I started anyway applying for risk positions within my company and ended up getting into the risk group within my own org chart tower because others left.
So I never messed with any of the microsoft certs since I was already doing the job and then getting into risk near the end of last year I was doing the job already again.
Well a bit ago thee company re-organized and my new manager likes letters after peoples names. So I started looking at the CISSP again and the ISACA certs. The ISACA certs only cover a few domains and some of theirs are combined into one of the 10 CISSP domains so the body of knowledge is much smaller which means maybe I'll actually finish.
The tests are big $500 tests for any of them so no real differences there, I just am trying to decide which might be best to start with. My current manager made me the vulnerability management coordinator since I have a technical background so it seems the CRISC fits that close but is newer and not as well respected as the other two.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones