1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Clearing Cache - Can anyone confirm?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by superchaos, Jan 7, 2010.

1. superchaos

superchaos Android Enthusiast

I opened ASTRO file manager Menu>More>Preferences and there is a setting to clear the internal caches. I already cleared mine manually through the settings>manage applications so I am not sure if ASTRO clears all the caches on the Eris or not.

Can anyone confirm this?

2. Ruh17

Ruh17 Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell this doesn't clear all the caches. I made sure I had cache for my browser and market. Then I used Astro to clear the phone cache like u described. Then I checked the apps again and they still had the same caches

3. superchaos

superchaos Android Enthusiast

That kinda sucks. Maybe it is designed for a 1.6+ OS. Thanks for testing it.

4. Mortgage_It

Mortgage_It Well-Known Member

can anyone suggest the top 5 apps and frequency we should be clearing them? 1 x per day? 1 x per week?

5. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I guess it depends on which apps you have on your phone. I would recomend going into manage applications in settings and sort by size. Browser is alway a big one and will be near the top. The Market usually takes up some room too.

As for the frequency ... I dont think there really is any set time interval that works better than another. Depends on your apps and how often you use them. I use the internal Memory Widget on my home screen, and know about how many mb I have used. When it starts to climb, I know that it is from the apps cache and I go clear some out.

Hope thats helpfull

6. Mortgage_It

Mortgage_It Well-Known Member

very helpful, thank you. where can i find the internal memory widget?

7. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

8. Ruh17

Ruh17 Well-Known Member

I go through and clear caches one or two times a day. And I rarely have the lagging issue that most have. The stock browser, market, and albums apps build up a ton of cache quickly. Contacts storage and people build up a little cache regularly. Settings can get a little from time to time. I never get cache with games or most of the apps I have downloaded. It seems that the caches only really build up on the stock HTC apps.

9. Ruh17

Ruh17 Well-Known Member

I think that the clear cache function of apps like Astro and clear cache widgets and such only work if Ur phone is rooted.

10. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

On a stock Eris with no extra installed apps, just after a restart, how much free space should there be?

11. bad05gtt

bad05gtt Member

please, just a quick question...if i go into manage applications and clear out ALL the caches..... this will not cause any problems to my phone ( just increase my internal memory) thanks !!!!!

12. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I have not had any problems clearing cache ... but I am sure you and I dont use the same exact apps, so I cant say for sure what will happen with yours. There shouldn't be any problem.

13. eg146

eg146 Newbie

I had a question about this too. I saw the option to clear internal cahe, thumbnail cache, and I think external cache.

Once before I went in my Droid 2 files and cleared what I thought was contacts history but ended up shutting down the phone. Verizon had to get it back up and running. I don't know what I screwed up but I even lost data in apps that weren't backed up.

Don't want that to happen again, are these safe cache's to clear?? Thanks

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews