• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Clearing Text Message Threads Problem!

dielawn

Lurker
Oct 24, 2008
Is it just my phone but my G1 seems to have slowed down drastically. I only have maybe 5 or 6 new apps installed on the phone, none of which i feel are slowing it down at all. I also thought that maybe it had too many text message threads open/saved, so i decided to delete all text message threads and every time it just freezes up and asks me to FORCE CLOSE/ WAIT. It wont let me all of my threads. Also is there a way to save the threads to your SD card or to a computer etc? Any help at all will be appreciated. Thanks!

I've had thread 200+ messages long and it does take some time to clear. I suggest you reboot your G1 and then try to delete the threads. those msgs get stored on the phones memory and then think of the apps you open plus if you browse the web you're really taking away from it. I've learned to delete the long threads and close out web pages that I don't need.

As "Noonehereyet" stated it's also good to reboot the device every now and then. It helps clear out the cache

Upvote 0
I have a thread that's at 1247. Basically, never let this happen. I've tried everything, can't get rid of it, and it's LOCKING UP my messaging almost completely. Tried rebooting, deleting in Messaging, deleting in ChompSMS, nothing works.

i'm having the same issue right now. i even uninstalled chomp just to get rid of the memory and i've tried the delete all threads in messaging. nothing will fix it!!! i can't even reinstall chomp now.

Upvote 0
i'm having the same issue right now. i even uninstalled chomp just to get rid of the memory and i've tried the delete all threads in messaging. nothing will fix it!!! i can't even reinstall chomp now.
Best way to combat this problem is when the Force Close pop's up just press Wait if its available. You might have to press this a lot but it'll eventually delete all the texts.

Best if you try to keep each thread under 200 or so.

Upvote 0
Same problem, HTC Hero, custom ROM.

I have several threads that are well over 2000 messages, impossible to delete, I've tried letting them go over night, for 8 or more hours, no help there... Tried SMS Instant delete, well, there's nothing instant about it. So I found an app that will delete messages older than X. This app works! It's called "Delete Old Messages", lets you delete messages older than 6 months, 2 months, 1 month, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, etc... Still takes a while to delete the messages, so if you have a lot, you'll want to let it go over night. I had to slowly reduce the size of the threads to make them more managable. Kind of ******ed that you can't delete messages quickly, even if there was an option to only show the latest 10 or so messages on the current window, or whatever, that would help a ton (Windows Mobile does this) that way the thread doesn't have to load every message every time you open the thread... But at least this is kind of a solution, here's the link and QR Code...

Delete old messages v1.2 Application for Android | Tools

chart

Good luck, I hope the Android OS peeps solve this problem soon, looks like this has been a problem for at least 2 years... :S

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones