• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockworkmod freaking out on me?

I think a lot gets blamed on clockwork and rom manager that is not its fault. I have been using clockwork for months and only ever use SPRecovery to help other people and write tutorials. I cannot remember having an issue that I had to flash back to SPRecovery for.

I never had an issue with Rom Manager but after installing BB 0.4, I am unable to flash anything else. I can select a rom, it reboots but goes directly into the moto boot screen instead of the command line screen. It appears to then reboot again, once again coming up with the moto boot screen and then the OS (BB 0.4) comes up. Never seen this happen before and don't have a clue what to do next...

Upvote 0
I never had an issue with Rom Manager but after installing BB 0.4, I am unable to flash anything else. I can select a rom, it reboots but goes directly into the moto boot screen instead of the command line screen. It appears to then reboot again, once again coming up with the moto boot screen and then the OS (BB 0.4) comes up. Never seen this happen before and don't have a clue what to do next...

just flash SPRecovery or an older Clockworkmod recovery then flash back to current Clockwork recovery. Sometimes it takes a few flashes. You should be good after that.

Upvote 0
just flash SPRecovery or an older Clockworkmod recovery then flash back to current Clockwork recovery. Sometimes it takes a few flashes. You should be good after that.

Thanks! Flashed an older Clockworkmod recovery then back to current and am now able to flash again. I really wanted to try CG 6 RC3 to see if I can get Google Voice actions to work. Wouldn't install for me on BB 0.4 :(

Upvote 0
I updated my unrooted stock 2.1to 2.2 manually, then used easy root, then installed rom manager. I also had some problems with the recovery flash 'sticking', but I just kept flashing until it stuck (it tells u this in clockwork I believe). I then installed the Liquid frozen yogurt rom with the Smoked theme and love it. My phone is snappy, longer idle battery life, and I can use wifi tether, take better pics, and usse the updated google apps. I love the new voice search. I wish I could get bluetooth to accessvoice search instead of the voice dialer. Anyone know how to do that? Or stream video from my pc?

I have followed this exact path with Easy Root. I installed Liquid 1.41 first then tried flashing to Smoked theme using ROM manager. I came to the Exclamation in White Triangle with a Phone screen a couple of times. I had to pull the battery and restart. Then I opened ROM Manager and flashed Clockwork. It simply states that it was flashed without ever rebooting. I was then able to flash to Smoked Liquid 1.4. It loaded but is stuck in a loop of the DROID and Red Eye screen. Battery pull and enter Boot mode then reload. Same loop. Restart and wipe user data from Boot mode. Same thing.

Please help...

Upvote 0
when you were in ROM Manager did you make a backup of your ROM - since your flashed clockwork - before you started messing with these themed ROMS?

if so, have you tried starting up the Drod and holding the X button/key to boot into recovery and then flashing back to a backup ROM?

Thanks!
I did make a backup. It is on the SD. In recovery I only see the option to 'apply sdcard:update.zip'. I moved the file 'update.zip' that I used to get Froyo. How to I flash back to my backup ROM?

Upvote 0
when you were in ROM Manager did you make a backup of your ROM - since your flashed clockwork - before you started messing with these themed ROMS?

if so, have you tried starting up the Drod and holding the X button/key to boot into recovery and then flashing back to a backup ROM?

I have done this, hopefully someone can tell me where I am wrong:
I rooted with universal androot, install rom manager, installed clockworkMod as required by rom manager, I then attempted to backup my current stock rom. When enter the file name, my phone reboots:
the first i did this, the M came up ont he screen went away and then rebooted again, then the droid EYE and then my desktop, i went into Rom Manager and it said the book recovery failed and it gave me two options

I attempted the back up again, only this time when I rebooted, teh Triangle\! and phone symbel displayed but that was it, the phone was non responsive for about 5 minutes, I pulled the battery and rebooted safely again.

Again went into rom manager and it gave me the reboot options again, (i do not recall the exactly wording and I do not want to try it again as I do not know what will happen)

So, can I back up the stock rom or is that the problem?

Any ideas as I am not sure what I did, if anything wrong. My goal is to overclock so I believe i need to install a new kernal usnig these directions :Android 2.2 Kernels Released – Fixes WiFi | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks

Upvote 0
have you tried opening ROM Manager, flash an alternate recovery Sprecovery (bottom of ROM Manager list), then when that is done just reflash clockworkmod (top of list) - essentially deleting or clearing the bad clockworkmod by flashing Sprecovery and then going right back and flashing a fresh clockworkmod.

once that is done, and you have a presumed good clockworkmod reflashed, you could reboot into recovery and try to make a backup or just try to backup your ROM from ROM Manager.

Upvote 0
third backup was a charm. I was able to back up stuff and now can see roms an what not. If I wanted to overclock my cpu do I need anything else at this point other then the kernal i mentioned in a previous post? Also, do i still need sprecovery? I am unsure what that is exactly compared to rom manager. The problem I find is that there are so many different tools (rom manager, sprecorvery, cyanogenmod...) involved that i do not what does what and not sure where to start.

The more i google this stuff the more confused i get :-(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones