• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cloud based SMS app for PC

clewis38

Lurker
Nov 19, 2018
I'd like to have an app on my phone that allows me to text (incl photos, videos, etc) from my computer, such that the phone and my computer are synced and the text messages are stored on the cloud so that moving to a new phone or device is seamless. I'm generally not aware of the latest apps out there, so any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

I checked out Google Messages. It's much like most of what Google develops - if it worked they way it was supposed to, it would be awesome, but in reality, it doesn't really work. So if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

What exactly is not working.

I use this every day at work and it's been a timesaver.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I don't use the Google app, but maybe if you could explain in what respect it doesn't work it will make it easier for people to suggest something that meets your needs.

A quick search turned up this Android Authority article about such apps. I don't know whether any have an integrated backup (but as long as your phone has all of the messages a cloud backup app running there will do fine - you just need to install the same app on a future phone and restore) and clearly not all are using your phone's normal messaging (e.g. at least one was using a number assigned by the app rather than your phone number). So I don't think they are all suitable, but it may be worth having a look at some of them as there may be something there that suits your needs. I've not used any, so can't make a recommendation.

SMS is a cellular protocol, so sending as if from your phone means either sending via the phone (so an app on the phone receiving instructions from the PC via the a network connection, as the Google app does) or using an SMS gateway. The latter would not sync back to the phone, so it's really the first you want. There are other messaging services out there, but they require the recipient to have the same app, so I presume it is actually SMS you want.

Upvote 0
What exactly is not working.

I use this every day at work and it's been a timesaver.
1. PC says "Not connected to phone" while the phone is showing the connection. I refresh the browser and then it's connected, but upon trying to start a new message, the "Not connected" error comes back.

2. Won't let me delete a message from the history. It has that option in the submenu for each message, but when selected, the message does not delete. Eventually it works, but rarely the first time.

3. On the PC, the functionality is very slow. Lot's of the spinning arrow. Waiting and waiting.

I had similar disappointments when I tried making Hangouts my default for SMS. It didn't take long to realize why Hangouts was never really adopted by the android community the way Google had hoped. It seems Google Messages is another attempt at pretty much the same thing, but it falls short. My friends who have iphones send SMS messages from their computers with ease, and it's very smooth. Not sure why Google is still struggling with it. Maybe it's just me, maybe other users aren't having trouble with it, but so far, I'm not loving it.

Upvote 0
I had similar disappointments when I tried making Hangouts my default for SMS. It didn't take long to realize why Hangouts was never really adopted by the android community the way Google had hoped. It seems Google Messages is another attempt at pretty much the same thing, but it falls short. My friends who have iphones send SMS messages from their computers with ease, and it's very smooth. Not sure why Google is still struggling with it. Maybe it's just me, maybe other users aren't having trouble with it, but so far, I'm not loving it.

Bare in mind that's Mac only, and NOT Windows or Linux on PCs.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Bare in mind that's Mac only, and NOT Windows or Linux on PCs.

And, they are not using SMS per se, but iMessage.

@clewis38 , I am able to connect to message and it's very responsive ... no delay, delete works, etc. Is there anything special about your pc's internet connection? Does it use a proxy or VPN?

Upvote 0
What kind of wifi/internet connection do you have? I have Verizon FIOS at home and work and I don't get those phone not connected messages.

What phone do you have?

Bear in mind, (Google) Messages is still a giant work in progress and it's totally free. If you use third party apps you will have to pay. (Pulse, PushBullet, Mighty Text)

Upvote 0
I have now tried Google Message on two different computers. On my computer at work, it is working quite well. The problems I described above are not manifesting there. So, I guess I jumped the gun on my judgement of the app. Still having those issues on the home computer (which is supposed to be a better machine), so I'll have to figure out what's causing it. I will say, on the phone, the app is SMOOTH. Really like it as the SMS manager for the phone. Jury is still out as far as the solution on the computer, but I'm hoping the issues I'm having will get resolved. Thanks to all for the contributions to the thread. All were helpful and appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones