• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM12.1 UNOFFICIAL RC5

No, not a special case. I have the same issue, i revert bact to beta 2 and 1 and i think the Flamingo sensor is the one making the screen faulty for me
If you have problems with the proximity sensor not working correctly when you get a phone call then you need to flash the redbull sensor after you flash rc2. If you have problems with the touchscreen becoming unresponsive then you need to flash the new kernel. Also, if you are using any of the modified switcher zips that others have been posting then these are almost certainly what is causing your issue with the screen freezing.
anyone found a permanent solution to the start/stop playback on youtube? i know changing from nuplayer in developer settings seems to help a bit, but it still eventually begins having the error again. any ideas, anyone?
You need to flash the fix for Netflix which has also been reported to fix the YouTube issue.

Reactions: Epico
Upvote 0
Just wanted to thank masterchief and everybody else who helped me I have cm12.1 installed with r/w access everything is working even have adaway installed and a mod called nitro 2.7 I love the feature of having my own call blocking inside settings no sensor issues and WiFi and data are working great sometimes the screen freezes but its bad

Upvote 0
Just wanted to thank masterchief and everybody else who helped me I have cm12.1 installed with r/w access everything is working even have adaway installed and a mod called nitro 2.7 I love the feature of having my own call blocking inside settings no sensor issues and WiFi and data are working great sometimes the screen freezes but its bad
Your problem is that the switcher zips for cm12.1 rc2 have the wrong boot.img packed inside. Flash the restore zip first (if you don't you might lose twrp without an easy way to get it back) then after flashing the restore zip, you need to flash the test kernel which fixes the touchscreen issues.

Upvote 0
Cyanogen MOD 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) for ZTE ZMAX

You need to be rooted and have TWRP installed (normally, not switched up)

CURRENT RC2
https://www.mediafire.com/?gzrif112ud260kt
md5sum 455fbf41d80f2edba3245832602a36e5

UPDATE KERNEL WITH TOUCH SCREEN FIX
http://www.mediafire.com/download/13lu1hacn6dr3as/tstkrn.zip
md5sum 75651e6fd44e5a5d85bae21b6f5e6a0e

INSTRUCTIONS (all done in TWRP with out restarting)
DO A BACKUP IF HAVE NOT DONE ONE YET
FACTORY WIPE
INSTALL ROM
INSTALL UPDATED KERNEL
INSTALL GAPPS
this is the gapps zip I use
https://github.com/cgapps/vendor_google/raw/builds/arm/gapps-5.1-2015-06-02-15-19.zip

do not restore data in TWRP from another ROM or older version, the DATA partition has a lot of OS related system stuff in it, use a backup and restore utility like Titanium Backup, to just back up you apps, app data, messages, call log, etc, etc,

If you have sensor issues (the screen goes black when you receive a phone call)
see this thread for the fix
http://androidforums.com/threads/cm12-1-sensors.922452/

fix if you flashed cm12.1 and went back to stock and have messed up rotation sensors
https://www.mediafire.com/?csh937g28vrbql1

Working
it boots
audio
bluetoothe
camera
wifi
camcorder
RIL
GPS
WIFI hotspot
sensors

Needs fixing
you tell me

Old Versions

OLD RC1
https://www.mediafire.com/?0qloe9a1ybkl7a7
md5sum d3b0c6685de1724e7c2036a88c26035c
OLD BETA 2
https://www.mediafire.com/?lps6pmjy10feu4j
md5sum 37c59fb0bc5aef465640911f965dd023
OLD BETA 1
https://www.mediafire.com/?jv9adn9sdrxk8oa
md5sum 670a07b8e2246d7ceb0cd9189e14303e

SOURCE CODE
ANDROID
https://github.com/CyanogenMod
KERNEL
https://github.com/hroark13/android_kernel_zte_draconis
DEVICE TREE
https://github.com/hroark13/android_device_zte_draconis

SYSTEM WRITE PROTECTION IS STILL ACTIVE, I MADE CHANGES TO THE KERNEL THAT STOPS THAT ERROR WHEN YOU TRY TO REMOUNT AS R/W

IF YOU TRY TO MAKE MODS TO /SYSTEM IT WILL LOOK LIKE IT WORKED, BUT IT IS ONLY IN THE BUFFER, ONCE YOU REBOOT THOSE CHANGES ARE GONE

SYSTEM WRITE PROTECTION WILL NOT BE OVERCOME WITH OUT A BOOT LOADER UNLOCK OR SOME TYPE OF HACK

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Thanks Button and give my thread a rating by clicking on the stars above.

If you would like to buy me a beer , you can click on the PayPal button

I would like to thank the following people for their donations

Waxysdargle
cclebeaux
dabluze
Dhlongfellow
Masterchief87
syph0r
danny
Jbird5047
intrdrgn
luis

if I missed anyone, sorry

.hK

You've got more than a few beers coming your way man!!!
I just want to show my gratitude and appreciation for your work by first saying:
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!
And thanks to all those contributed!

For what it's worth, here's a quick update on how my installs went:
(I have the T-Mobile variant zmax)

First Flash (Old Beta 2) from build Z970V1.0B20
Old Beta 2 install went great! No bugs or issues (other than the volume was a little quiet).
hroark, you ****ing freak!

Second Flash (RC2) from build Z970V1.0.0B22 (apparently there was an update within the last week or so)
RC2 install went great as well! Although, I did have sensor issues while in call.. (no biggie! it was just working backwards :p)
I flashed the V5REDBULL_sensor.zip and it fixed the issue!
hroark you ****ing freak!!!!!!!

200w_d.gif

edit:
Just wanted to throw this out there as well;
The RC2 flash was a bit interesting as I couldn't achieve permanent root on this build (Z970V1.0.0B22) like i could on the last one (Z970V1.0B20). KingRoot4.0 would only get me temporarily rooted. No matter, I went ahead and installed TWRP recovery while temporarily rooted and I didn't even bother installing SuperSU.. rebooted into recovery (and lost root), but the install went smooth... No ISSUES what so ever.

Edit: hold that, sound is a little bit quiet on the RC2 build as well. (No complaints though!!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your problem is that the switcher zips for cm12.1 rc2 have the wrong boot.img packed inside. Flash the restore zip first (if you don't you might lose twrp without an easy way to get it back) then after flashing the restore zip, you need to flash the test kernel which fixes the touchscreen issues.
Can confirm this works. Also the redbull sensor works flawlessly. Also Mastercheif87 is there a way to get xposed to work?

Upvote 0
Can confirm this works. Also the redbull sensor works flawlessly. Also Mastercheif87 is there a way to get xposed to work?
There is xposed for android 5.1 but I don't use it because it is an unofficial super alpha release. It can potentially cause a lot of problems. I've learned that when you mix two different things that are both still in development its certain to cause problems.

Upvote 0
There is xposed for android 5.1 but I don't use it because it is an unofficial super alpha release. It can potentially cause a lot of problems. I've learned that when you mix two different things that are both still in development its certain to cause problems.
Well I know that there is a version but you have to flash a zip and you need system access. But you can't use twrp when there switched to install zips unless you unswitch them then you don't have r/w. Do you have any ideas? Thanks

Upvote 0

You are right i have fixed the problem now i forget that everyone is not flashing things the same way so test kernel boot img are in the new zips and will updated soon . i am not trying to cause problems am just try give back to people that help me. so if you had screen issue after using the first zip i am sorry

edit well not going to change the zips cause the test kernel img make a problem with the screen

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The new rc2 switcher zips work fine for me

Reactions: BLACKSTARATL
Upvote 0
You've got more than a few beers coming your way man!!!
I just want to show my gratitude and appreciation for your work by first saying:
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!
And thanks to all those contributed!

For what it's worth, here's a quick update on how my installs went:
(I have the T-Mobile variant zmax)

First Flash (Old Beta 2) from build Z970V1.0B20
Old Beta 2 install went great! No bugs or issues (other than the volume was a little quiet).
hroark, you ****ing freak!

Second Flash (RC2) from build Z970V1.0.0B22 (apparently there was an update within the last week or so)
RC2 install went great as well! Although, I did have sensor issues while in call.. (no biggie! it was just working backwards :p)
I flashed the V5REDBULL_sensor.zip and it fixed the issue!
hroark you ****ing freak!!!!!!!

edit:
Just wanted to throw this out there as well;
The RC2 flash was a bit interesting as I couldn't achieve permanent root on this build (Z970V1.0.0B22) like i could on the last one (Z970V1.0B20). KingRoot4.0 would only get me temporarily rooted. No matter, I went ahead and installed TWRP recovery while temporarily rooted and I didn't even bother installing SuperSU.. rebooted into recovery (and lost root), but the install went smooth... No ISSUES what so ever.
Why u need perm root this is rooted already u do not need super user go developer settings enable root and ADB and access and once you have twrp no need to reinstall it just use the twrp app and rebootbto recovery

Upvote 0
Why u need perm root this is rooted already u do not need super user go developer settings enable root and ADB and access and once you have twrp no need to reinstall it just use the twrp app and rebootbto recovery
Better yet just turn on advanced reboot in the developer options and then there is no need for any Rebooter app.

Upvote 0
I had ZERO issues with beta 2 (other than the volume was a little bit quiet.)
(T-Mobile zmax)

RC2 is also running great!

thanx...I might give beta 2 another go....the last issue with rc2..the sd thing...was kinda blah...the camera and chromes invisible tabs kinda turned me off ...I know they'll be the same in beta 2...but I can probably live with/fix them..

Upvote 0
So I am in the process of installing this version, and my phone has been at formatting system for like 10 or 15 mins. I don't see any sort of progress bar... Is this normal, or has it gotten stuck somehow?

Edit. It worked now. That was a nerve wracking over 15 mins. Is there any chance to get a progress bar added? I don't have any idea how hard that would be, just a suggestion

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones