1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Compass

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ijay2001, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ijay2001

ijay2001 Newbie

I'm using samsung s duos. I don't find a compass in this device.. The calibration also does not seem to be correct.. .as maps don't show the right direction in which I'm moving. Can anyone help please.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

I believe the solution to the calibration problem is to hold the phone at arm's length while moving it through several large figure-eights.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

funkylogik likes this.
  4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Have you tried the figure-eight action to calibrate the compass? So hard to describe n i cant find a youtube vid i saw once but basicly hold the phone at arms lenth and twist your wrist in a figure eight a few times (kinda like activating the Moto X camera if that helps)
    Sorry if that sounds like a bunch of stupid lol :thumbup:

5. hstroph

No. At arm's length one moves the phone in as large of figure-8 as possible several times ... the wrist stays fixed, it's the entire arm that moves.

One tries to move the phone through as much geomagnetic flux as possible in a short time before returning to the starting value.

funkylogik likes this.
  6. OakIris

OakIris Member

lol - for some reason, your posts made me envision a whole bunch of people in one room gyrating their arms about to calibrate their phones. Wonder who thought that up? And why/how does it work? Interesting....

Holly

funkylogik likes this.
  7. hstroph

I occasionally have a problem with Sky Map not being oriented correctly. The figure-8s solve it immediately.

funkylogik likes this.
  8. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

funkylogik likes this.
  9. funkylogik

Lets all do it starting at
    10pm GMT (nearly 30mins from now) and see if we can change earths rotation :beer:

10. OakIris

OakIris Member

Darn, I missed it! Did it work? :p

Holly

11. ijay2001

ijay2001 Newbie

Hi, before I tried to calibrate the compass, I tried to download one app and saw that compass is fine.. in Compass App and in RMaps.. the compass north pointer is showing fine.. the problem is only in Google maps.. I'm using S Duos Samsung.. Anyone who knows how to resolve this problem. In Google Maps, the North pointer is exactly the opposite direction.

12. funkylogik

Darn me too :D

13. Pep

Pep Android Enthusiast

This was your plan, Funky....... You let us all down. We were counting on you as our Supreme leader:p:p

But I digress......

I personally like this one. Gives you lots of info

Pep

funkylogik likes this.
  14. funkylogik

Ok i promise. 0315 GMT? Everyone?
    (13ish mins)

15. funkylogik

Wait.... how will we know if it works???
    if we fall off, i wasnt the op so not my fault k, agreed?

16. ijay2001

ijay2001 Newbie

Hi, before I tried to calibrate the compass, I tried to download one app and saw that compass is fine.. in Compass App and in RMaps.. the compass north pointer is showing fine.. the problem is only in Google maps.. I'm using S Duos Samsung.. Anyone who knows how to resolve this problem. In Google Maps, the North pointer is exactly the opposite direction.

17. funkylogik

Forgot again :-(

boathead likes this.
  18. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast

how the hell you forget this time...you only had to lodge in the grey matter for 13 minutes.:D

19. funkylogik

Aye but im daft. Ok. In 60secs from now... 55 past the hour.........

20. funkylogik

Well i did it. Did anyones cows float away into space? Anyone feel like they can write with the wrong hand?
    I gota beddycuddles with mrslogic but na'nite geeks xx