• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Compatibility mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 4, 2020
    I wanted to see if there was an Android equivalent to the Windows compatibility mode for older apps. There is:

https://developer.android.com/guide/app-compatibility/test-debug

But when I try to use it, it says "App compatibility changes can only be modified for debuggable apps."

Is there a way to make this run for a normal app? I have some apps that stopped working with recent Android versions.

Reactions: Dannydet
    I wanted to see if there was an Android equivalent to the Windows compatibility mode for older apps. There is:

https://developer.android.com/guide/app-compatibility/test-debug

But when I try to use it, it says "App compatibility changes can only be modified for debuggable apps."

Is there a way to make this run for a normal app? I have some apps that stopped working with recent Android versions.

I believe that "Windows compatibility mode" might be rather limited from what I've seen on YouTube videos about old/retro software. Like someone got some old program or game that requires Windows 95, 92, or XP. and it won't run on Windows 10 even in "compatibility mode".

As for Android, AFAIK there is no "compatibility mode".

Upvote 0
    I believe that "Windows compatibility mode" might be rather limited from what I've seen on YouTube videos about old/retro software. Like someone got some old program or game that requires Windows 95, 92, or XP. and it won't run on Windows 10 even in "compatibility mode".

As for Android, AFAIK there is no "compatibility mode".
    I've found Windows compatibility mode effective about 2/3rds of the time, usually it's for older games, so it's probably just changing the way it communicates with the graphics card.

Android is severely lacking in many ways, I shall be contacting Google's suggestion box. To deprive me of doing things on MY OWN PROPERTY is beyond a joke.

Upvote 0
    I've found Windows compatibility mode effective about 2/3rds of the time, usually it's for older games, so it's probably just changing the way it communicates with the graphics card.

Android is severely lacking in many ways, I shall be contacting Google's suggestion box. To deprive me of doing things on MY OWN PROPERTY is beyond a joke.

Well the hardware might be your OWN PROPERTY, but the software they run is most certainly not, and is governed by their EULA(End User License Agreements) and ToS(Terms of Service), whether they come from Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc. Windows on your PC is not yours, that belongs to Microsoft. The way to own your own software and do whatever you like with it, is to go completely open source, e.g. using a GNU/Linux OS.

Think of it like a record, cassette, VHS, CD, or DVD, you might own the physical media, but you don't own the music or movies that's on them.

Upvote 0
    Well the hardware might be your OWN PROPERTY, but the software they run is most certainly not, and is governed by their EULA(End User License Agreements) and ToS(Terms of Service), whether they come from Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc. Windows on your PC is not yours, that belongs to Microsoft. The way to own your own software and do whatever you like with it, is to go completely open source, e.g. using a GNU/Linux OS.
    Testicles. The software exists on the storage device which belongs to me, so is also mine. I shall use it, give a copy to others, or adjust it in any way I wish.

Think of it like a record, cassette, VHS, CD, or DVD, you might own the physical media, but you don't own the music or movies that's on them.
    Of course I do! If I buy a Metallica song, I'm free to give my friend a copy and charge him for it. Who's going to stop me?

Have you tried contacting the developer to see if they can update their app?
    Yes, it's apparently very difficult and more work than a non-profit organisation wishes to do. Google are beyond a joke. If they change their OS, they ought to pay for any changes required to programs they broke in doing so.

Upvote 0
    Well I'm sure Mr Ulrich would disagree with your ideas. Look up Metallica, et al. v. Napster, Inc.
    Intercourse Mr Ulrich. Anyway Miley Cyrus does their songs better.

i hate that guy. and it is for that i hate Metallica. i used to really like them until lars opened his mouth.:thumbsdowndroid:
    Agreed. I make sure to flood all P2P sites with Metallica's full discography whenever possible. Seriously, nobody gave a rat's arse about this when we just copied cassettes.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones