• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Comprehensive Battery Guide

Gardium, what are your settings for ATK, the Startup, Action, Auto kill, and Security, etc. I just want to see if your current settings will help me any. Thanks in advance

I currently have a setup on the phone that helps my battery life. But on average I'm getting at least 20-24 hours of use with a signal. For instance, its 9:57PM and I still have 40% left from a full charge this morning (7:05AM).

Check out the attachment (Notice: I have airplane mode and WiFi on, while I was at work) The reason for this is where I'm located work I have little to no signal, so I put the phone in airplane mode). If I had to stay at work in those conditions the phone says it would stay on for a full 2 days

Attachments

• snap20110223_124305.jpg
    snap20110223_124305.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
Heard it is a fake. Its just a standard battery that they have relabelled. And kinda supported by theory.

Unless they are using another kind of cell than the original HTC batteries (Li-On battery), I can't really imagine how they would manage to get a battery capacity of 133% of the original battery from HTC. That is one h*ll of an increase if the battery is the same size (and tbh, a battery of a different size I would not buy).

So since it is eBay, I'd say it is a hoacks. Steer away from those, until HTC come with their own official battery. So far HTC have not launched any official increased capacity battery :)

PS! As the specification of the battery would be hard to test, it is hard to prove the "information" wrong, thus if you buy the battery (and use it ofc, can "freely" return something not used), and it gives no increased effect, you are unlikely to get your money back ^^

Oh. And if you use a battery not labelled by HTC (and has to be if it's offically HTC, so if this battery is labelled HTC, definately a hoacks), you are void of warranty...

And checks out, you cannot see the HTC label in the picture add, as it is on the front ^^. Either a fake or unofficial :)

Hi Folks,

Great post Gardium. Learnt quite a fair bit from your post.

Yes the battery is a hoax. 1600mah was what enticed me to buy it. Tell all of you reading this thread now. All batteries on eBay or wherever you see them are fake. U don't get extra hours from them... all bollocks! :mad:. Do not be sucked in. Learn from my mistake. Lol.

Upvote 0
Gardium, what are your settings for ATK, the Startup, Action, Auto kill, and Security, etc. I just want to see if your current settings will help me any. Thanks in advance

I currently have a setup on the phone that helps my battery life. But on average I'm getting at least 20-24 hours of use with a signal. For instance, its 9:57PM and I still have 40% left from a full charge this morning (7:05AM).

Check out the attachment (Notice: I have airplane mode and WiFi on, while I was at work) The reason for this is where I'm located work I have little to no signal, so I put the phone in airplane mode). If I had to stay at work in those conditions the phone says it would stay on for a full 2 days

The ATK I use (the "Advanced Task Killer Free" by ReChild), I have not altered any settings in, except add apps that I don't want it to shut down to the ignore list. I have no auto kill level, the security level is set to high as default, and the application starts up with the phone, although right after a restart (a full reboot, power off will not start up the ATK automatically as this is not a restart of the phone), I usually kill all the stock apps that have started up with the phone.

Currently as of writing, I only have two programs in my exception list:
1) Battery Indicator by Darshan Computing, LLC, version 3.0.6
2) Juice Defender - battery saver by Latedroid, version 3.2.9 (however this last I'm conducing a test on currently, and unless the result changes fast, it will be uninstalled within a matter of days, as it might actually be pulling more battery than saving me as I don't shut it off... :(

Upvote 0
Basically it has to be an uninterrupted charge the first 2-3 times for the battery to get a full effect of the conditioning, yes. Interrupting the charge will make the cells think they are fully charged, and thus start refusing to take in more electrons.

However, I have now finished my testing of "Juice Defender" version 3.2.9 by latedroid.

First of all, as mentioned in an earlier post, it is a really bad bad bad interface. It is really badly programmed, and many menus are buggy. On top of that, the phone needs to be rooted (thus with 90% of manufacturerers you are guaranteed a void warranty, so this I don't like) for about 70% of the functions to work. Also for European phones, the firmware does not seem to work with the program, and it asks you to install a mod so it can control 3g. During the test for me, it seems like it can control my data communications to some extent while I don't use it, but it seems to be varying with its efficiency in doing so. Thus this option saves me for only a slight amount of juice per charge.

However here comes the shocker, which I find really appalling, and thus I'm now uninstalling it, as I find it sucks more battery than saves for me, as it constantly needs to be running and monitoring various uses. The "Juice defender" claims to me a constant 1.79x increase in my battery over the last 48 hours. This has not changed at any point during the almost 3 charges I've had the phone over the weekend (plus Monday and today). This seems first of all very weird to me that this number does not change at all, since my usage has fluctuated a bit. It's now almost 3 full 48 hour cycles I've tested this program in, so this should have changed in my opinion. My second concern with this number, is that in 48 hours (which is one charge from before me testing this program), the programs claims to have extended my battery by almost 4/5, but my battery life cycle is still almost identical to previous before testing the program. The only thing the program does well, is that when my "power saving" mode hits in, it disconnects mobile data immediately when the phone is locked, and will re-enable it only when the phone gets unlocked, so one can check the time without it being re-enabled. However this does not save me considerable much battery, as this only applies for the last 15% of my battery (to set a higher threshold for activation, it requires pro version or rooting, don't know which one as that is not stated). During the "normal mode" of the phone, I suspect the constant monitoring and controlling of my communications actual might pull more (or similar power than usual) juice, as the program is always on and I don't kill it.

Thus, my conclusion is that "Juice Defender" is useless if you have set up the phone and use it like I have said in the guide. It is just an extra program that is installed, has commercials for other programs and might even suck extra battery life from being on :)

Upvote 0
Hi, I have been using HTC desire HD for 1 week plus....since i only c ur post today~~obviusly i din "conditioning" my battery in the first place.....so my first day of using experienced my batt totally die out in 7 hours....then i started to check out all the forum on optimizing batt~~it has been better but it still went down to 50% after 5 hours~~

Is there anything i can do or make it up?

I have been trying changing all the setting to power save it....but still the android OS usage of my phone is around 40%...how it is possible to reduce it until 4%?

I saw a lot of diff method like rooting the phone to remove all default apps....does this work?

And previously i installed the task manager~~which it will auto kill the apps~~wil it be a cause of draining the batt?

I really need help on this issues~~at least last me a day~~

PS....all the setting i almost changed~~i even disable my background data and make the display as dim as possible....

My usage of phone just very normal~~like everyone does~~

Upvote 0
So have I ruined my battery for good? :(

You haven't ruined your battery, but you probably won't have gotten the full extent of what it is capable of.

The thing is, todays battery don't need conditioning to work for a year without becoming worse after just a few months, but the initial battery cycle life you get, is what will last for 1 year. Basically there isn't much to do, after you have used the battery and not conditioned it.

You can basically try to drain the battery as much as possible once a week or so, and over charge it as much as you can (try to keep it plugged in like 12 hours+ if possible). This might increase it slightly over time, but as I have said, the batteries intial learning period is the first 2-3 charges.

I have been trying changing all the setting to power save it....but still the android OS usage of my phone is around 40%...how it is possible to reduce it until 4%?

I saw a lot of diff method like rooting the phone to remove all default apps....does this work?

And previously i installed the task manager~~which it will auto kill the apps~~wil it be a cause of draining the batt?

Basically, the Android OS tells you how much battery the phone has used powering the apps that have been on. The more programs you have open, the fuller the RAM, and the more battery/power the phone will use.

So by using a task killer frequently (either by running it yourself periodically, or using its autokill function), you will clear your RAM often, and thus use less battery on powering your apps. However, this has been very discussed, since programmers of Android have made an efficiency thing, that gets ruined by using a task killer app. But many people chose to use it, as it saves battery life. But the OS itself will actually stop unnecessary programs when it needs more RAM, but this is only when all the RAM is basically full, and the phone is sucking battery like crazy. Thus, I chose to use a task killer app.

As for rooting the phone, yes this does work, when you then can turn off many features. However, I would not recommend this, as it is complicated to flash the ROM and root the phone, and there is a fair chance you actually can completely ruin the phone if you don't know what you are doing. Also, rooting will void you of all guarantee/warranty you have on the phone, and if something happens to it, you will not be able to receive help from HTC, and your insurance company might blame you for ruining it if you try to claim back money and you have rooted the phone.

Upvote 0
What battery problems ? according to the spec you should get ample time with the phone.
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Features of the HTC Desire include:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=-1]5 megapixel camera with face detection, autofocus and flash[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Video recording[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Display: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with pinch-to-zoom capability, 480 X 800 pixels (3.7 inches) with auto-rotate[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]GPS receiver with digital compass, Google Maps, HTC Footprints and geo-tagging[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Music player (aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma formats)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]FM radio[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Messaging: SMS, MMS, Email[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Ringtones: MP3 ringtones [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Internet: GPRS, EDGE, HSPA (7.2 Mbps download, 2Mbps upload)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.1 with Enhanced Data Rate, mini-USB 2.0, Wi-Fi, 3.5mm audio jack[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Memory: 576 MB RAM plus microSD memory card (up to 32GB)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Vibration alert[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Quadband GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) plus HSPA/WCDMA (900/2100 MHz) [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Size: 119 x 60 x 11.9 mm[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Weight: 135g[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Talktime: 390 - 400 minutes[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Battery standby: 340 - 360 hours[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
If only. When I got my HD was advised standby was about 450 and 100hours more than the iPhone 4, but as always, unrealistic to get those times

Hehe. People still haven't learned after all those years they have used that term in commercials :p.

Standby time, is usually what the manufacturer claims it to be, as they have tested it. However people tend to imagine standby time as "when I fiddle a bit around with the phone, just have the screen on and just play a game or so, basically when I don't use the phone to call or sms". Standby time in the print, is when you let the phone lie COMPLETELY untouched for the whole duration, basically the phone has been booted, SIM unlocked and the phone started its data communications, then the screen is powered off and the phone is let to lie still, until it dies, and the time that takes, is the announced "standby time" :). It's to give a certain feeling of the battery capacity, but you can basically say that the battery will with normal usage last between 50-70% of that time, depending on the amount of usage ^^

The reason the iPhone lasts longer than the DHD, is that the screen is much smaller for a start, but the iPhone also runs a generation old system processor, while the DHD runs a much faster new generation processor, and has a better image processing unit, meaning it will kick the iPhones ass in picture and video handling, but it will lose in battery life :)

Upvote 0
What battery problems ? according to the spec you should get ample time with the phone.

[SIZE=-1]Features of the HTC Desire include:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=-1]5 megapixel camera with face detection, autofocus and flash[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Video recording[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Display: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with pinch-to-zoom capability, 480 X 800 pixels (3.7 inches) with auto-rotate[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]GPS receiver with digital compass, Google Maps, HTC Footprints and geo-tagging[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Music player (aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma formats)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]FM radio[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Messaging: SMS, MMS, Email[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Ringtones: MP3 ringtones [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Internet: GPRS, EDGE, HSPA (7.2 Mbps download, 2Mbps upload)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.1 with Enhanced Data Rate, mini-USB 2.0, Wi-Fi, 3.5mm audio jack[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Memory: 576 MB RAM plus microSD memory card (up to 32GB)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Vibration alert[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Quadband GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) plus HSPA/WCDMA (900/2100 MHz) [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Size: 119 x 60 x 11.9 mm[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Weight: 135g[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Talktime: 390 - 400 minutes[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Battery standby: 340 - 360 hours[/SIZE]
That's the Desire...We're talking about the "Desire HD"

Upvote 0
Hello guys,

One quick question: I did factory reset to my DHD due to gmail sync problem today.(I did not set up my google account at the beginning so I faced the similar problem)

Does it effect battery calibrating that I was doing in these days ? I was going charge it second time today from drain.

No, this should not affect the battery.

As long as the battery is kept "in use", meaning not charged before completely empty during the conditioning, it is fine. The battery don't really care if you turn the phone off, or reset it during its conditioning. Basically, there will no matter what always be a small discharge from the battery, as a safety mechanism, even if the phone is turned off. This "use" is enough for the battery to "think" it is in use. So just be sure you completely drain the battery completely 2-3 times, and that you charge each time without interruption for at least 8-9 hours :)

Upvote 0
Yesterday I decided to test the more advanced features of the ATK "Advanced Task Killer Free" by ReChild, and set the Auto-kill level to "aggressiv" and Auto-kill frequency to "When screen off" (this option does require a reboot when you enable it! I didn't notice this the whole of yesterday :eek:). The security level is still set to high as usual.

This seems to have worked very well, as the phone basically gets its RAM cleared every time I lock the phone. There is no problems yet that I have discovered, and my battery seems to have lasted me longer. However, due to the reboot the battery information on time is a bit wrong, but I'll come with an update in a few days and report back on its effects.

Just as a minor update, I forgot to mention that activating only the "live feed" sync of FaceBook seems to be the trick. After having synced your FB contacts once, you should deactivate this feature, as the phone seems to be checking up and updating the contacts almost hourly (this is for the FaceBook account, not FaceBook for HTC Sense. For the later you can set the update frequency, however I'd still recommend to turn off updating contacts, as it seems to use a lot of time on updating/syncing). As it then probably has to go through a couple of hundreds of contacts, this requires a bit of data traffic, thus pulling a lot of power. But the "live feed" sync seems to only take a few seconds, and does not pull as much. However, I am not a big fan of FB, and have thus deactivated the FaceBook syncs completely, but still kept my account so I have the contacts merged :)

Also, I have decided to start to turn off data communications during the night, as I don't really need them then. However, I use my phone as an alarm (thus when setting it in the evening it ain't hard to just switch off communications, and switch it on when waking up), and want to be available on the phone IF something should happen, so the phone is kept on :)

Upvote 0
This is a really great thread. I have come to my conclusion that i love a bright screen, i love the up to date Facebook status and all that good stuff.

So I charge my phone every night just knowing down the road i will have to buy a new battery soon. Cause this one won't hold a charge for long.

Heck you got a 1000 Mhz processor in hand.

USE IT

Thanks for all the info people.

Upvote 0
Hey.

Sorry to put a dampener on things but battery conditioning, or cycling as it's better known by will not help Lithium Ion batterys as unlike older battery technology such as NiCad (Nickel Cadmium) they do not suffer with memory effect. The latter needed to be completely drained of power in order to maintain maximum capacity.
Infact by totally draining the battery you are in fact shortening it's life span.

Also you will not ever be able to overcharge a Lithium Ion cell, if you do stand clear as they can catch fire. They will not charge to any voltage higher than 3.7 volts and the internal circuitry of the phone takes care of this so when you're phone says the battery is charged it most probably is.

There is also only one cell in our phone batterys, so it does not need to be balanced against another working alongside it. Again if there was more it would be controlled by circuitry to assure reliability and safety.

I use these and Lithium Polymer batterys in a hobby of mine and so have learnt a lot on how to keep them in top condition and provide long service life.

Here is some good battery reading on Lithium Ion battery care;

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Any time gained between charges will mainly be due to any unnecassary running processes being shut down to conserve power.
With my own DHD I found a complete factory reset and restore of my settings helped increase it's batter life.

Ian

Upvote 0
Hey.

Sorry to put a dampener on things but battery conditioning, or cycling as it's better known by will not help Lithium Ion batterys as unlike older battery technology such as NiCad (Nickel Cadmium) they do not suffer with memory effect. The latter needed to be completely drained of power in order to maintain maximum capacity.
Infact by totally draining the battery you are in fact shortening it's life span.

Ok, first of all, the memory effect you are talking about, is something different. The memory effect you refer to means the "dead" parts of the cell that can't take up more "charge" because they have not been used for a while, and thus they are a "dead" part of the battery. The overcharging I'm talking about does not have anything to do with the "dead" memory effect. You are conditioning the battery to take in more electrons, not teaching it to use the full extent of its cell that it already has.

Second, Li-ions take no damage of being completely drained (at least not noticeable for a mobile phone, that probably will have its battery changed out after 12-18 months). That is the "middle" generation Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery that will take damage of that (the kind of battery used in high performance units that require a lot of power fast, but for a short time).

Also you will not ever be able to overcharge a Lithium Ion cell, if you do stand clear as they can catch fire. They will not charge to any voltage higher than 3.7 volts and the internal circuitry of the phone takes care of this so when you're phone says the battery is charged it most probably is.

You are misunderstanding the term "overcharge". We are referring to "overcharging" the cell, as in forcing it to take in extra electrons to have more current to provide. The charging voltage is still the same. I have not told anyone to overload the charging circuit. This is potentially VERY dangerous, and OFC I am very aware of that.

There is also only one cell in our phone batterys, so it does not need to be balanced against another working alongside it. Again if there was more it would be controlled by circuitry to assure reliability and safety.

Ok either the website you link to further down lies, or you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Li-ion batteries :thinking:.

LINK From that link, you will see a table about half way down the page (sorry, could not find a permalink). This table states that battery voltages with 3.7 V (which is what the DHD carries), are either Li-manganese or NMC. Both of these are stated to require to have balanced cells for safety, meaning the DHD must carry multiple cells.

Just curious, where did you get your information that the DHD only carries one cell? If you think one cell because it only has "one pack", then think about laptops. They only have "one battery pack", but they pack 6-9 cells in them, depending on the size. The mobile phone battery just have downscaled cells, because they have a much less demand for power delivery.

I use these and Lithium Polymer batterys in a hobby of mine and so have learnt a lot on how to keep them in top condition and provide long service life.

Here is some good battery reading on Lithium Ion battery care;

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Yes, your hobby and the link dealing with this, probably have figured out how to make the "expensive" large battery last long, as I'm guessing your hobby has something to do with RF controlled units or some big hobby requiring a lot of battery capacity. The thing is however, that your hobby does not give you insight into how to prolong the actually cycle of the battery. You use the battery as it is, till it is empty, but since you don't want to invest into batteries every few months as you probably spend quite a few cycles a week, then you have tips and tricks to prologging the cells life time. Unfortunately, those tips and tricks do not help here for the DHD and how to keep it up long without charging it often.

Any time gained between charges will mainly be due to any unnecassary running processes being shut down to conserve power.
With my own DHD I found a complete factory reset and restore of my settings helped increase it's batter life.

Ian

We have not talked about the differences people experience in power between each charge they have. We are talking about the same people, using mostly the same apps each day, and how they can prolong their battery life :)

Hope this explanation helped to clear a few points :). Good luck with your hobby :)

Upvote 0
Ok, first of all, the memory effect you are talking about, is something different. The memory effect you refer to means the "dead" parts of the cell that can't take up more "charge" because they have not been used for a while, and thus they are a "dead" part of the battery. The overcharging I'm talking about does not have anything to do with the "dead" memory effect. You are conditioning the battery to take in more electrons, not teaching it to use the full extent of its cell that it already has.

Second, Li-ions take no damage of being completely drained (at least not noticeable for a mobile phone, that probably will have its battery changed out after 12-18 months). That is the "middle" generation Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery that will take damage of that (the kind of battery used in high performance units that require a lot of power fast, but for a short time).

You are misunderstanding the term "overcharge". We are referring to "overcharging" the cell, as in forcing it to take in extra electrons to have more current to provide. The charging voltage is still the same. I have not told anyone to overload the charging circuit. This is potentially VERY dangerous, and OFC I am very aware of that.

Ok either the website you link to further down lies, or you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Li-ion batteries :thinking:.

LINK From that link, you will see a table about half way down the page (sorry, could not find a permalink). This table states that battery voltages with 3.7 V (which is what the DHD carries), are either Li-manganese or NMC. Both of these are stated to require to have balanced cells for safety, meaning the DHD must carry multiple cells.

Just curious, where did you get your information that the DHD only carries one cell? If you think one cell because it only has "one pack", then think about laptops. They only have "one battery pack", but they pack 6-9 cells in them, depending on the size. The mobile phone battery just have downscaled cells, because they have a much less demand for power delivery.

Yes, your hobby and the link dealing with this, probably have figured out how to make the "expensive" large battery last long, as I'm guessing your hobby has something to do with RF controlled units or some big hobby requiring a lot of battery capacity. The thing is however, that your hobby does not give you insight into how to prolong the actually cycle of the battery. You use the battery as it is, till it is empty, but since you don't want to invest into batteries every few months as you probably spend quite a few cycles a week, then you have tips and tricks to prologging the cells life time. Unfortunately, those tips and tricks do not help here for the DHD and how to keep it up long without charging it often.

We have not talked about the differences people experience in power between each charge they have. We are talking about the same people, using mostly the same apps each day, and how they can prolong their battery life :)

Hope this explanation helped to clear a few points :). Good luck with your hobby :)

Hello.

Please understand I am not going to turn this into a flaming match and then a "who's right and who's wrong" debate, but before you give out any more inforamtion go and have a good read up on batterys. Specifically Li-Ion as used in the DHD as you are only quoting what you think is correct and not actual fact.

You have indeed been talking of memory effect in previous posts which as I have pointed out does not exist in the DHD batterys, as to over-charging you are also not going to see this happen.
A Li-Ion cell can only take in what capacity it is rated to, no more no less and without taking mine out isn't the stock battery 1200/1300mah? Hence it will only ever take in 1200/1300mah from dead flat to fully charged, no extra charging past when the light changes to green is going to make any difference. You mention you know the dangers of over charging these cells and so you can no doubt realise that no over charging will be allowed to happen.

Li-Ion do take damage from over-discharging, again I will point you in the direction of Google as it's your friend to search about how best to maintain a Li-Ion cell and prolong it's life span.

The reality is a Li-Ion cell is actually degrading from the minute it is made, how it is treated while in use then has a bearing on how long it will last into the future.
Nickel Metal Hydride and NiCad which do not suffer as much from over discharging if much at all, in fact these type of cells benefit from it to get over the previously mentioned memory effect you speak of.

You cannot force a cell to take in extra "electrons" what you're trying to say is force in more capacity, eg. mah (MilliAmp Hours) which is what effects the run time of an electronic gadget.
As an example say we fitted a 3000mah battery to our DHD's then we would increase it's time between charges.
Voltage is totally different and needs to stay at 3.7 volts or else we would destroy our DHD's due to over voltage, but the mah (capacity) of the battery can increase without worry to give us longer run times.

Pictures here to help understand voltages;

HowStuffWorks "Battery Arrangement and Power"

The problem is I do know my batterys and I'm keen to highlight to people that what they read isn't always correct.
Unfortunately in doing so I'm going to upset you by pulling apart your theory, but hopefully I will also get you to understand fact rather than fiction.

A standard Li-Ion or Lithium Manganese single cell, eg. one cell, it's operating voltage is 3.7 volts for one cell. Our DHD's only need 3.7 volts and hence only have one cell, explaining the small foot print of the battery used within the phone compared to that of a laptop battery.

Agreed these type of cells do need to be balanced when assembled into packs of two or more cells, which depending on how they were wired together would either increase output voltage or capacity.
If you look at a laptop battery you will see they output on average 14volts+ and capacitys of 4000mah+, to do this requires multiple cells linked together in series and parallel which increases both voltage & capacity.

A clue that there is only one cell in the DHD battery is the fact it only has 2 major connections, in order to balance individual cells there needs to be connections onto each individual cell. Also the excess voltage of any cells needs to be absorbed by something while the remaining cells, during the charging phase, catch up so all the cell voltages match. This would create heat, heat which cannot be dissipated from our DHD's.
It maybe that in order to achieve the capacity of the DHD battery that there might be two cells inside, but these would be wired in parallel to keep the voltage at 3.7 volts but increase the capacity. However I seriously doubt it as it would increase production costs, a single cell is much more cost effective.

You are correct on one thing, I do fly RC model helicopters in which I use Lithium Polymer/Lithium Ion batterys to power them. From this I have learnt how to prolong their life span as these packs are more expensive than our DHD ones.
While the application is different, eg. an RC heli to a small phone, the basic rules on what works and what doesn't still applies.
What to some may sound as a glorified toy is infact very specialist, especially when it comes to batterys which have been built around the mobile phone battery technology.

How you use your phone has the major impact on battery life, eg. apps and connections running etc. However you have been keen to promote a technique which does nothing but degrade the battery.
I agree while it may not happen now at this moment, people will keep on using this information you have given them thinking it's got to work as I've bene told it does, when in reality it doesn't.

If you are really keen to know your batterys please read here and do you own searches;

1. how to prolong a Li-ion battery's life? - CNET Peripherals Forums

2. How to Prolong the Life of Lithium-Based Batteries | Castolon LLC

3. Secrets for prolonging lithium-based battery life

Taken from above link;

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as “digital memory”. Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery’s state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in ‘Choosing the right battery for portable computing’, Part Two.)"

Ian

Upvote 0
Umm, laptop batteries don't have only one pack....Open them up and it's obvious that there are 6 or 9 separate cells...They look kind of like C cell batteries, the fat round ones.

Also, I'm not trying to take sides here, but from a few of my searches, it said not to fully discharge Li-Ions....

Reactions: coolice
Upvote 0
TBH, I didn't calibrate it on the first day either (well I did, but only kinda haha)...and the second charge I did absolutely nothing to help my situation...but I just tried it anyway after what I had done, and I remembered something long forgotten and hidden in the crevaces in my mind :p As long as you cycle your battery 1-3 times a month (going from 0% virtually to 100%, and it doesnt have to be 2 or 3 days in a row) your battery will be absolutely fine.

What made me remember this was the fact that I fly Hobby Class Remote Control Helicopters. My batteries are LiPo (Lithium Polymer) but the concept is the same as in Li-Ion...In order to keep healthy batteries FULL DISCHARGE and CHARGE are required basically every month to keep them operating to full potential... And its a way bigger deal with those as my batteries cost me 130 bucks a pop. As long as you follow this rule, you should manage to get a good amount of time out of each charge.

I hope this helps NOLA. So follow Gardium's Steps (good head on his shoulders and very logical thinker hahaha) and enjoy you're portable entertainment machine. This phone WILL suck power, as it has such a beautiful display, but I have not mentioned this before, but today was the second full day of the phone being on. I used it quite a bit, with AUTO-BRIGHTNESS ON and it powers through it (pun intended :p )...I'm SO glad I got rid of the iPhone for this...it is what I call an AIK (auto-iPhone Killer) :D

Enjoy and regards,

crAsHak :D

Hey.

If you are doing this to your RC batterys, like your phone they will not last very long! I to fly RC heli's with 12s LiPo batterys and so take good notice in how to maintain these type of batterys in tip top condition.

The cycling theory you are remembering is for the older battery chemistry, namely NiCad and NiMh that needed to be conditioned with complete discharges to maintain maximum performance by fixing their memory effect.
There is talk of a digital memory effect in electronic devices and this is due to the equipments electronic needing resetting to the fitted battery.

Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion do not need completely discharging and recharging to maintain their performence, in fact by doing so you are shortening their life span and degrading their performance.

Can I suggest you revisit Gardium's thread where I have highlighted this to be the wrong information and also provided links to web sites that know what they are talking about when it comes to batterys.
This will benefit you in two ways;

1. With your models, by prolonging their batterys life span and
2. Your phones battery to.

Your much more likely to get better duration from your phone by turning of what services you dont need on in the day like bluetooth etc.

Ian

Upvote 0
Umm, laptop batteries don't have only one pack....Open them up and it's obvious that there are 6 or 9 separate cells...They look kind of like C cell batteries, the fat round ones.

Also, I'm not trying to take sides here, but from a few of my searches, it said not to fully discharge Li-Ions....

Hey.

Appreciate the input mate :)
Coming solely from me it looks like I am on a mission to shame one individual, which I am not I will add but just trying to right the wrongs. But the facts are there on the net for all to see.

Li-Ion cells can also come in the form of round metal canister shaped cells as you would find a Sub C to look like. lIke you say it is then how they are wired up which dictates the output voltage and capacity of the battery.

Ian

Upvote 0

Firstly, I did say that it looks like one pack (as in it is all in one container) ^^. I know there are multiple cells (or packs if you want to call them that) in the laptop battery. That is also what I wrote.

I also don't wish anyone to take sides. This is meant to be an informative thread. I do want to appologize to CoolIce if he took my tone as negative or rude. That was not my intention.

I do admit I'm not a battery expert, and will not prolong this discussion further. There are links and info here for people to read now, I was just expressing myself based on the information I could quickly find on the site linked, as I was busy at that time. As for what I wrote (both now and earlier), it is just my opinion and experience, but granted, I know experiences of many can be different (like some claim ATKs worsen their battery life, I am not to disagree. If the ATK didn't install right or something, it might make matters worse), and experiences are not always right.

Also what I wrote as an explanation was also a hunch/guess, based upon my experience and knowledge from courses I am currently, or have taken in electrical engineering. Althought I see what you mean about the battery not being able to take in more than 1200mAh, I still think "topping" the charge has an effect. Exactly how, I will not attempt to explain now, as my "theory" seems to be wrong based on the lastest posts :).

All I know is that, based upon from what I have written, my phone has now managed to last 96 hours on one charge, data communications always on, 1 hour of calls, a bunch of sms'es, gmail synced regularly (but not that much smartphone use, like music, browsing, gps, etc). However, for this charge, I have just wanted to test out my batterys capability. I am going to use the phone more actively as a smart phone, and charge it every 40 hours or so I guess :)

PS! Not too prolong this much more, but CoolIce, could you link to where I refer to the "dead" memory effect that you say I did. :p Can't recall that I wrote what you see xD

Also, I agree that the Li-ions take damage from being completely drained. All battery technology will do so, because of the way the battery works (basically an electrolysis with two components, and over draining one component will then damage the cell). However, I have only said to completely drain the battery a few times (and many places seem to state it is frequent discharging that really can damage the battery. I didn't say to keep discharging completely once the conditioning is done. And from the site you linked in the first post, the Li-ion batteries have internal protections from getting to low, thus they won't take damage from the drain that a normal user can do :). At least not a noticable damage ;) )

PS2! Just read one of your links, and the second comment on one of them is:
I worked for a cell phone company for 8 years and did a lot of research on this subject so I could properly inform my customers. There are basically 3 types of chemicals currently being used for cell phone and laptop batteries. Ni-cad, Ni-mh and Li-ion. There is a fourth makineg its way in Li-ion polymer. A couple things are consistent for all types of batteries no matter what chemical is inside. You must initially give the battery a 12-14 hour charge on the home charger. (Don't use a cigarette adapter for the first charge. This conditions the battery and don't take it off the charger that first time even if the charging indicator says it's full after 3 hours. Also the manufacturer's also state to run it thru 3 charge cycles. What that mean's is that you fully charge and fully drain 3 times. 1 full charge + 1 full drain = 1 charge cycle. Here's where the way you charge the battery starts to differ.

Ni-cad: Mostly only on older devices, has a "memory" effect, should be drained before a full charge is put on it, should be removed after overnight charge or can be overcharged and burnt out.

Ni-mh: Still used for some devices, has slight memory effect but not enough to have to fully drain before the recharge, should not be consistently left on charger after full charge that can eventually burn out battery and shorten usage time.

Li-ion and Li-ion polymer: Used on a lot of newer devices, has no "memory" effect, should be recharged as often as possible, actually likes to be charged and draining it regularly can cause the usage time to be shortened, can NEVER be overcharged so whenever you're near a charger put it on there. Besides those benefits a li-ion battery is lighter and smaller but the chemical can hold more charge than Ni-cad and Ni-mh.

So the one reply to your question said to error on the side of draining the li-ion batteries. This is incorrect information. You want to charge the battery before it gets below a 20% charge. Also batteries will not go bad from accidentally doing the incorrect charging procedure here and there but normally follow the correct procedure. One last note try to use the home charger more often than the cigarette lighter charger for best long term results. Cigarette lighter chargers do not give a full charge (about 95%) which in the long run can damage any type of battery listed.

So I can see there are many conflicting sources here. Thus I think it should be up to each individual to decide what to do :). In this thread I have just given my opinion and tips that I have followed :)

Upvote 0
Hey Gardium.

I will also appologise to you if my responses came across the wrong way, probably much like yourself I am passionate about things I take interest in and also get a lot of satisfaction from helping others. Actually just participating in forum conversations on gadgets is something I enjoy to.

Unfortunately with these battery topics I've seen it all written before for many years starting with Symbian phones, that also had specific apps written to drain the battery completely from companies who should know better :eek:

There is some good information in this topic now from which people can use to their advantage.

Ian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones