• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confused about WiFi Calling

CAL7

Jan 13, 2010
I have T-Mobile, with the old Hotspot@Home billing feature that gives me unlimited UMA minutes (used to have two blackberries and used UMA a lot). I have really missed this with my Nexus One. With TMO rolling out Kineto's application for "WiFi Calling" I am trying to figure out what is possible for my Nexus One, currently at Android 2.2.1 (FRG85).

Is the Kineto deal only going to be for TMO builds of Android? I have read that Kineto's business model is to not sell direct, hence no availability in the Market. Since my Nexus One gets its Android system updates independently, this would mean I can never get an update with Kineto built-in, right?

If I were able to install Kineto, would it look like UMA to TMO so the calls would be covered under my unlimited H@H plan?

Any bright ideas on how I can get WiFi Calling (the TMO supported plan that uses my TMO number, not some SIP implementation or Google Voice)? I prefer not to root, but if I have to root to get UMA, I will.

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones