1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Confused about WiFi Calling

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by CAL7, Nov 5, 2010.

1. CAL7

CAL7 Member

Jan 13, 2010
    I have T-Mobile, with the old Hotspot@Home billing feature that gives me unlimited UMA minutes (used to have two blackberries and used UMA a lot). I have really missed this with my Nexus One. With TMO rolling out Kineto's application for "WiFi Calling" I am trying to figure out what is possible for my Nexus One, currently at Android 2.2.1 (FRG85).

Is the Kineto deal only going to be for TMO builds of Android? I have read that Kineto's business model is to not sell direct, hence no availability in the Market. Since my Nexus One gets its Android system updates independently, this would mean I can never get an update with Kineto built-in, right?

If I were able to install Kineto, would it look like UMA to TMO so the calls would be covered under my unlimited H@H plan?

Any bright ideas on how I can get WiFi Calling (the TMO supported plan that uses my TMO number, not some SIP implementation or Google Voice)? I prefer not to root, but if I have to root to get UMA, I will.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Let's try this query in the Android Lounge, Cal. The Updates area is more for.. well, updates. ;)

I've moved the thread for you. You might also want to post your concerns in the T-Mobile forums:

http://androidforums.com/t-mobile/