• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

connect my S3 to PC via usb nothing happens

Y'all know that the S3 has to be in Camera Mode to connect to the computer via USB don't ya?
I tried the sim card method and it didn't work for me. But scrolling down I saw your message and switching to Camera mode made it work. I feel like an idiot now having lived with this problem for an entire year, and I'd only had to switch to camera mode. I never switched cause I thought that was the limited mode with which only photos could be transferred. But I was wrong, you can access everything. lol. Yours is at least for me the best answer.

Upvote 0
I have suffered with this issue for a long, long time. It has been a real pain in the neck... I have tried countless things to try and fix it (every cable in my house, de-installing stuff, new drivers, and on and on) nothing has worked... And TBT my life is pretty overfilled already without aggravating technology issues...

I have not read this whole thread, but after working around this issue for years in kludgy ways, I had to post what worked for me today... Maybe it will help someone else...

Backstory - My old WinXP machine used to recognize the phone without a problem (kept it around just for that purpose honestly...). Got a Win7 machine, it did not recognize the phone from day 1; when I upgraded the Win7 box to Win10 I still had no luck. Have a MacBook Air (less than a year old) - it did not recognize the phone with or without Android File Transfer. Tried the XP machine today and it no longer could see it. :( Totally. Not. Happy.

So read a little more online about this issue for the millionth time today, and someone said buy a new USB cable - their position was that not all USB cables are made for File Transfer. Now I do not know if that is the case, or if USB technology has changed so much that older cables in newer boxes don't work the same way, or if Android OS upgrades have caused a problem. But I went and got a new USB cable today from a tech store and so far both the MacBook and the Win10 machine recognized the phone on the first plug in - no driver updates, no drama - MTP mode.

Have not tried the XP machine yet, but I don't need to... The new cord was like $16. I do not know why this works, but it worked for me. Have labeled that new cable so as not to get it confused with the numerous other miniUSB-USB cables that I have...

I will also say that I had never gotten an extra miniSDHC card for the phone before. Also bought that today and an adapter (not really cheap to me - liked $40) - this could also be a solution for some. You can copy your files to the miniSDHC card and then stick it in the adapter and load the adapter to your computer.

Hope this helps somebody. The cable was a cheap solution and I would have been happy with the miniSDHC card too - anything just to have the issue solved without having to go through a bunch of extra software or other heroics.

Best...

Upvote 0
ninja636rider said:
"Try turning the phone off, remove and reinstall your SIM card, and turn phone back on. That fixed mine when I had the same issue."

OH MY GOSH... I have looked everywhere for this answer! On other Forums, and on Samsung, and on Verizon... and Here You Are. Ninja636Rider... with the Exact Answer! THANK YOU! And Bless You, IT WORKS AGAIN!

You're Amazing!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones