• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Connecting to a VPN through a SSH tunnel

nsciora12

Lurker
Jul 26, 2023
Hello, I'm trying to connect to a VPN through OpenVPN and a SSH tunnel, but the browser won't forward my traffic to an app running in the subnet of the server, even though VPN is connected and the SSH tunnel says that I'm also connected to the server. (Works properly on PC)

Could this be a problem with SSH tunnel traffic forwarding in android or should I look elsewhere?

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A53 5G, I've tried two SSH clients: JucieSSH and OpenSSH in Termux. I've also tried two VPN clients: OpenVPN from the PlayStore and OpenVPN for android from F-Droid.

This sounds like things are working as they should. Trying to use a VPN service for online access within a SSH connection is antithetical to SSH itself.
SSH is a peer-to-peer, client-server connection between two devices. A VPN is a privacy measure that allows a host using its local IP address to be 'tunneled' through an online connection to an anonymous server that has its own different IP address. SSH functionality is inclusive, while a VPN is exclusive.
Try reversing your setup so your VPN is the primary for web access and for SSH.

Upvote 0
This sounds like things are working as they should. Trying to use a VPN service for online access within a SSH connection is antithetical to SSH itself.
SSH is a peer-to-peer, client-server connection between two devices. A VPN is a privacy measure that allows a host using its local IP address to be 'tunneled' through an online connection to an anonymous server that has its own different IP address. SSH functionality is inclusive, while a VPN is exclusive.
Try reversing your setup so your VPN is the primary for web access and for SSH.
Sorry, what I meant was that I'm connecting to a VPN then to a SSH tunnel and the SSH tunnel isn't working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones