1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Considering the US Sprint version or T-Mobile of this but majorly confused!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sportster, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Sportster

Sportster Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Male
    Steelworker
    Indiana, US
    On a OG Droid now, upgrading to the (maybe) Galaxy S2 Sprint or T-Mobile variant, but am majorly confused as to the rooting/roming of this thing. Is this variant different than the one used overseas? Kernels different? I've heard it uses the Epic 4G touch kernel or some such thing? Confuzled! My Droid is rooted/rom'd and expect to do the same with the GS2 IF I can figure out what the heck and where the heck TO do it at,which board,variant,etc. Don't care to instantly brick my new phone using a kernal that is for the GS2 overseas and not for the US variant....... h e l p

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I believe the Sprint variant is the Epic 4G Touch. If so do not root it as per the guides for the SGS2 - the kernel is indeed incompatible and will render the handset inop (not bricked, just with no network service, wifi and hardware buttons). The Epic 4G Touch - All Things Root section has details of how to do the deed safely.

3. Sportster

Sportster Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Male
    Steelworker
    Indiana, US
    Found out the name is officially the Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4g Touch...now how absolutely ridiculous a string of names is that?? Good grief...no wonder there's confusion. Thanks for your help!