• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Copy 16gb microSDHC to 32gb using Windows PC

I just bought a SanDisk 32gb microSDHC card to replace the 16gb which came with my Droid-X. I have explored it some using the Astro free file browser found in the Android Market. It seems that the filesystem is some form of Linux/Unix (EXT/EXT2/EXT3).

How can I copy everything from the existing 16gb card to the new 32gb card using a Windows pc?

It's one thing to read/write from/to the card from a Windows PC while the card is still in the Droid. It's another thing to read/write from/to it while the card is mounted in a reader on the Windows PC. I am concerned about screwing up file permissions, privileges, the structure and getting all hidden files.

connect your droid to your computer and set it to usb mass storage mode. create a folder on your desktop and transfer all the files from your sd card to it. disconnect the droid, remove the old microsd card, insert the new one and power on the droid. once its powered on go into the settings menu and tap on the sd card storage option. tap format sd card, it should format it. then connect the droid back to your computer, enter usb mass storage mode and transfer all your files back

Reactions: jfint
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones