• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Could Charging Port problems be caused by the provided Micro USB Cable?

zachavm

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2011
I'm about to go through my second warranty submission to Motorola over the Micro USB Port going out. After a close look at the port, it appears the internal male connection is getting bent down. At first I thought this was due to the port being bad, but now I'm thinking that cable might provide too much pressure on the connection and over time bend it as it wiggles.

Give, it's still something of a phone defect as the cable connection shouldn't have near as much give as it does, but I'm wondering if I should get a different cable when I get my phone back from Servicing.

Reactions: bobloadmire
My 2 cents on cable/port issues is that they are almost always caused by using the phone while the cable is plugged in.
They are too small and delicate, and are not anchored well enough to withstand that for very long.
The USB port is not attached to anything, except for the solder points on the board. Any movement while plugged in will eventually break the solder and/or bend the connecting terminals in the jack, cable or both.
There is little that can be done besides don't use it while connected, unless the phone is stationary.
Those little business card holders that you see on desks and counters make a good dock type thing.
Zip tie the cord to the stand so that nothing wiggles while plugged in. If it rings, it's held at the perfect angle to use the speaker phone. If you have to pick it up, unplug it. If you don't want to zip tie, or otherwise attach the cord, because you use it in the car, then buy another cord, they're cheap.
Same thing in the car... get one of those mounts to hold it in place.

Back in the day, jacks were solidly mounted to a steel or aluminum face plate, with wires going to the board (pro audio gear still is... well except maybe Behringer gear). Nowadays things are too small. It just isn't practical.

Just know that this is a common failure point on many devices and do what you can to allow for it.

Upvote 0
I'm about to go through my second warranty submission to Motorola over the Micro USB Port going out. After a close look at the port, it appears the internal male connection is getting bent down. At first I thought this was due to the port being bad, but now I'm thinking that cable might provide too much pressure on the connection and over time bend it as it wiggles.

Give, it's still something of a phone defect as the cable connection shouldn't have near as much give as it does, but I'm wondering if I should get a different cable when I get my phone back from Servicing.

Definitely try another cable. I have a standard Samsung one from my Samsung intercept and it works a lot better than the stock one.

Upvote 0
Yep, just call VM. I'm on my 5th replacement due to this absolutely piece of crap charging port. The MT I have now is horrible and will only charge if I have a ton of pressure on the port. I've lost all faith in Motorola and MT. Not sure what to do next after 5 replacements but just call them and they'll send you a replacement

~Novak

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones