• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Could not authorise Facebook

parasmohan

Sep 3, 2011
Hi,

I keep getting messages on my mobile - "Could not authorize with facebook" but when i click on the link , it connects to facebook and opens up the page saying - " This phone is already authorised with facebook ".

Can someone help me plz to resolve this issue.

-Paras

What version of Android are you guys running? 2.1 or 2.3?

Have you tried running any Market updates to make sure there aren't any facebook app updates?

Facebook may be forcing people to login over HTTPS instead of HTTP (login securely instead of using plain text password) I know that they changed that for gmail accounts a couple months ago.

I would suggest trying to login from scratch. Maybe open Settings->Applications->Manage Apps->Find Facebook and click into it, and click Clear Cache......then try logging back in.

Or open a browser on the phone and goto Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More and try and login without the facebook app.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions beau420.

There isn't actually any problems logging in. I can log in using the app as normal and just ignore the notification. Clicking on the notification just takes you to a screen which says 'You have already authorised Sony Ericcson Xperia. Press Okay to continue', and when I press OK, then it disappears, only to reappear a minute or so later.

When I go into accounts/sync, there are two different facebook icons, which differ slightly. If you click on the slightly bigger icon (the regular facebook icon) it shows my email address at the top with the word 'Facebook' underneath, and a sync Contacts option. The other icon has 'Sony Ericcson Facebook Integration' under my email address with the options to sync contacts, calender and albums in the gallery.

If I 'remove account' on the regular icon, it does so and the other icon disappears too. But if I 'remove account' on the other icon, it just reappears again immediately. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I tried clearing the cache/data but that didn't work. I'm running 2.3 by the way, and never had a problem with it until today...

Upvote 0
Something to do with Facebook messenger:

Facebook Messenger update hits Android, BlackBerry smartphones

I have never used facebook on my phone.

Do you have the messenger off? On know on the computer there is a way to view and chat with users that are currently online. Do you have that option turned off? I would suggest turning it off.

My guess is that the problems is facebooks fault....maybe something to do with facebook update today.

Upvote 0
I'm on normal, unrooted 2.3 firmware and started getting this yesterday.

After much messing about, I seem to have got rid of it (fingers crossed). I just went into facebook and 'unauthorised' my xperia from there and then went back in on my phone and authorised it.

I was getting the message almost constantly, but since doing this (over 3 hours ago) i've not had any more. Hopefully it will stay that way!

Upvote 0
After much messing about, I seem to have got rid of it (fingers crossed). I just went into facebook and 'unauthorised' my xperia from there and then went back in on my phone and authorised it.

I tried that last night but it didn't work. I left my phone on all night and when I got up this morning, I cleared the notification and it didn't come back.

There were loads of complaints about this on SE's facebook page so I presume they (Facebook) got round to fixing it.

Upvote 0
How did you do that?

Go onto facebook from your PC or the browser on your phone and at the top right hand corner, click the drop down arrow next to 'Home' and select Account Settings. From this screen, on the left hand side, select apps and somewhere on this list that displays you should see something like 'Sony Ericsson Xperia'. click on 'Edit' and then 'remove app' (I think just clicking on the 'x' will also remove it).

Then go into the facebook app on your phone and it will ask you to authorise it. Do it and see if all's OK.

Since doing this yesterday morning I haven't had any further authorisation messages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones